Top Hat Completed - Ideas borrowed - Pics & Commentary

Started by about2, February 19, 2012, 05:51:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

about2

I tried three times to embed the images after text.  I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong so here it is .... not in the order I intended.

First and most importantly I want to thank Phil Thien, Retired2 and Donz.  My completed top hat is an implementation of their ideas and while I had confidence how it would turn out, I really had no idea just how well.  The following pictures and descriptions show how I utilized the ideas.  Being slow and not working with a written plan and layout, it was a challenge for me and it took a couple weeks to finish the job.  Here is what I did.

The top and bottom "sandwich" pieces came first then the baffle.  I decided to route the bottom with a slot that is one inch larger in width than the slot in the baffle which is 1 1/8 inches.  This made the baffle one inch "proud" of the bottom.  Cutting the bottom this way provided added support for the baffle and it is quite solid.  This was Donz's suggestion and I believe Retired2 is considering it. 

I decided to try Retired2's thought about an "eccentric" inlet.  I probably could/should have made it longer but being made out of plywood, weight was a concern so I limited it's length.
The inside dimension (inside the top hat) of the eccentric inlet, where it begins, is a rectangle 6 inches tall by 4 1/2 inches wide and after making the bend it expands to 6 1/4 inches at the inlet outer opening.  The six inch hvac pipe is inserted to the far left so air hits the angled wall as it enters the top hat.   The interior of the top hat is 6 inches high.

Here is a picture of the top hat with the bottom attached.

Here are a couple pictures of the top of the top hat one showing the bell mouth installed, another Retired2 idea.  The bellmouth is 1 ? inches from the underside of the top.

The inside wall is 1/8 inch clear polycarbonate.  it won't shatter and it is easily drilled without cracking.

The completed top hat.  I tested it by feeding a couple handfuls of sawdust etc. into the inlet.  There is about half a teaspoon of dust in the clear bag, the rest is inside the Brute trash can.

Now to build a rolling stand to mount the blower above the top hat.  I have an idea about how to raise the top hat off the Brute trash can to empty the sawdust.  It involves heavy duty drawer slides  :-)

Regards,
Doug Olsen

Dougp28704

Very nice. I will be interested to see what you come up with to raise the top-hat with drawer slides.

I am moving very slow on mine. This is my first woodworking project. It took me all afternoon just to make a circle cutting jig.  :-[

Peter

Doug, when you're done with your circle jig, can I borrow it?  ;D

phil (admin)

Very nice execution, Doug.

Looking forward to future usage reports.

about2

Quote from: phil (admin) on February 20, 2012, 12:02:21 PM
Very nice execution, Doug.

Looking forward to future usage reports.

Thanks Phil,

I don't have the means, in fact I don't have the inclination to do measurement tests of CFM.  It is as it is and I can only hope it is effective.  As near as I can tell the top hat is a success but again, I only tested it with a couple handfuls of sawdust.  I liked the results and thus far have not detected any leaks but the acid test will be when I get it set up on a wheeled cart and run 6 inch flex hose to my compound miter saw and table saw.  Then I'll really know if it is doing the job of separation and not clogging my Wynn nano filter.   I'm optimistic!!

Again, thanks for the "Thien Separator" idea.  Everyone should have one of these :-)

Regards,
Doug

jck53151

Looks fantastic.  Painted to match the can, right?  ;)

You have a supplier for your bellmouth?

about2

Thanks, paint is a close match.

Bellmouth purchased here:    http://www.spiralmfg.com/hoodsf.htm

I'm working on a design to lift the Top Hat off the trash can.  It involves drawer slides on the each side and a screw mechanism in the front, the heaviest part of the top hat.  These three things form a triangle attached to the top hat.  It is fun, almost completed and I really don't know if it is going to work well or not.  :-)  If it does, I'll post comments and pics.  Doug