News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

venting out side

Started by ducky911, July 07, 2014, 07:35:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ducky911

Hi,

I want to vent outside. Has anyone tested their baffle with handfuls of fine dust and watched their vent ?  Mine fails this test but seems to be working under normal conditions.

Thanks,

Bob

tomservo

It is my plan to vent outside so will be watching closely...

BernardNaish

Is this responsible? Would I risk exposing my young Granddaughters to this dust?

See

http://www.jpthien.com/smf/index.php?topic=1103.msg6005#msg6005

tomservo

Is it somehow worse than my current situation with no collection and big fans blowing it all out my garage door? I'm not rich but I am doing what I can.

bbain

Quote from: BernardNaish on July 11, 2014, 06:12:38 AM
Is this responsible? Would I risk exposing my young Granddaughters to this dust?

See

http://www.jpthien.com/smf/index.php?topic=1103.msg6005#msg6005
Are you venting close to where they would be playing?  I would guess the amount of dust would be much less than what is in the air naturally on a windy day if they are a reasonable distance away from the outlet.

tommitytomtom

Regardless of your dust collector design, you will NOT be able to collect it all. This means, the fine dust, which is the worst, should be filtered or exhausted away from the shop. There's a way to filter without venting outside but it requires a considerable investment. If set up properly, they will last years with proper cleaning. Search the web but I think you will find that Wynn filters are best. If you vent outside and heat/cool your shop, then you have to replace the vented/collected air when the collector is running. This creates a less than efficient scenario for your HVAC without some kind of air to air exchange. If you're a hobbyist, then maybe popping a window open (with a replaceable filter) when running the collector will do. If you're a business, then you may need to meet specific specific code requirements. I plan to vent the fine dust outside for now because I will need to scale up the investment.