Responsible wood waste disposal.

Started by BernardNaish, April 06, 2014, 05:24:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BernardNaish

Over the last few days we have had very unusual atmospheric conditions in England that have caused sand from the Sahara desert to be blown our way. Taking out the waste bins for collection this morning I noticed a fine layer of dust on my cars windscreen

This was fine sand but it got me thinking about how I dispose of the waste collected by my DC and shop vacuum cleaners. I have composted bags of it but there is only so much compost my small garden can take. I have also given a lot to a colleague who uses it as litter for his chickens; they apparently love pecking around in it. When soiled he composts it and the combination of wood and chicken droppings breaks down very fast but his garden is much larger than mine. I do not like the environmental damage caused by landfill disposal that is made worse by me putting shavings in the household waste (trash) bags. I do not know the answer perhaps it could be used in wood burning stoves or made into liquid slurry? I would like to hear ideas from other contributors.

I also thought about taking the filter off the DC and discharging outside. After seeing sand on my car that has travelled hundreds of miles from the Sahara I wonder if this is wise or responsible?  What is your view?