News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

simpler lid?

Started by oldpoopie, November 10, 2010, 12:38:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldpoopie

So I've putting together a "budget" woodshop as I assume many of us are.....

I've gotten the 2hp harbor freight collector and am building a seperator... Only I couldnt understand why nobody uses the factory trash can lid, so I'm gonna give it a try. Here are some photos. I'm going to do a side entrance for the seperator into the can, but haven't cut that part yet. Here are some shots so far. Anybody see any problems with the setup?
The baffle is some scrap woodgrain melamine

phil (admin)

Some people have used the can top.  It can be a challenge to get the fittings to stay put, due to the thickness of the steel.  You also have to make sure your lid seals well.  But absolutely doable.

dbhost

I used the lid from my 55 gallon bucket. The steel lids might be a bit more of a challenge. You may have to figure out how to keep the nipple in there, but it shouldn't be tough...

FWIW, I went with 5" in an out of my separator, that way I could hook up the 5x4x4 wye and have both 4" ports going into the separator... Works fantastic...

bruegf

I used the lid.   It does oil can a bit if you have an obstruction in the line, but pops right back.   Use close cell foam weatherstripping inside the top of the lid to get a good seal.   Pics at the bottom of the thread below.

Fred

http://www.jpthien.com/smf/index.php?topic=320.0

JakesDad1

I too used the factory lid. I placed a "disc" of melamine in the top, just inside the diameter of the can and hung the cyclone below that. Everything is bolted together with threaded rod.

With a side entry though the can, I just lift the lid off and dump the sawdust. Intake is a slip fit that just slides out.

oldpoopie

Nice. This helps me visualize what I'm doing. The can is all built now. Well, actually I need the foam insulation to seal the lid and I've got to build the bracket to hold the impellor above the seperator can. Its getting there though!

oldpoopie

How far should the outlet pipe in the lid begin before the lid surface.... I'm using 5" inlet and outlet.

phil (admin)

Quote from: oldpoopie on November 17, 2010, 02:09:22 AM
How far should the outlet pipe in the lid begin before the lid surface.... I'm using 5" inlet and outlet.

Rule of thumb:  Half the diameter, so 2.5".

JakesDad1

For my lid, I did not use anything to seal it. The melamine "disc" is just barely smaller than the trashcan and sits to the inside. The metal lid fits to the outside of the can. It seals without having to deal with a gasket each time its emptied.