News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

dust /chip collection

Started by gordo b, September 05, 2013, 01:56:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gordo b

further to my first post-- has anybody combined IN -LINE a lid +barrel for CHIPS then taking the outlet hose to a  barrel + cyclone for DUST  ----THEN to a shop vac ???   all 2 1/2" hose shop vac 1 hp  I  wonder if there would be any suction left or if  it would be more effective than the individual units for the two purposes-any ideas??? Gordo B

WayTooLate

Gordo -
Searching through the posts, you will find that the separator works extremely well with most sawdust.  Many readers have added HEPA filters to trap the remaining fines.   Search for "Wynn Filter" and you will see how many readers have improved their common DC units. 

The more attention you spend on your details in construction, the greater achievements can be made with those last few fractions of efficiency. 

Certainly, your health risks are greatly minimized by using the Separator ahead of your ShopVac.  In order to get the air quality down to safe levels, you have to take more steps.   Even if you can't remove ALL fines, here is a poor man's way to breather cleaner air while working... 
Put a good filter onto a common box fan; aim the small stream of 'clean air' where you breathe while working; save money for a better system...
http://www.jpthien.com/smf/index.php?topic=270.msg1566#msg1566
http://www.jpthien.com/smf/index.php?topic=408.msg2287#msg2287

Hope this helps!
Jim

gordo b

Jim thanks for your input as you say every little bit helps that was my main thought if the thien collector works as well as so many have reported THEN perhaps a dust deputy AFTER it prior to my shop vac  MIGHT. diminish the fines left floating in the shop atmosphere---if the shop vac can handle it--franly I don't see why not (mind you I think I remember  being wrong ONCE before) anyway time to start my mark I experiment-cheers Gordo

WayTooLate

Gordo -
I have both Dust Deputy and Separator units in operation at my shop. 
If your primary objective is to extend the interval between cleaning you DC filter bags, both will accomplish that.  Spending $39 on a Dust Deputy is cheap and quick and will dump the vast majority of debris into a bucket ahead of your ShopVac. 

Since you have mentioned air quality, the equation changes.  Most of these readers started with a DC that has a cloth bag.  If you replace that with a Wynn filter, you will make a huge improvement to your air quality regardless of what device is ahead of the DC.  But... you are using a ShopVac.  All of these generic devices have higher suction, but lower CFM.  You need to maintain as much CFM as possible in order for your vacuum to draw your debris into its collection and not escape into the 'cloud' around you and your tool. 

If you build one of the many 'Top Hats' shown by users on top of a 5 gallon bucket, you will find that it will present less of a load on your vacuum than the Dust Deputy.  Here is your empirical measurement:  Connect a DD to your vacuum and note the pitch drop when it is connected.  This shows you the load the little cyclone places on your vacuum (without picking up anything).  Then, connect a Separator.  Almost every design listed in this web-site will present less of a pitch drop - hence, less of a load to your vacuum.  This means that more air is flowing thorugh the Separator, which means that more air is sucked in at your tool - which means that less debris is floating in the 'cloud' that you are breathing... 

Depending on the tools you are using:  Saw vs. Router vs. Sander - you can tweak the size and design of your Separator to optimize the performance.  Since you will be limited to using a 'HEPA'-type bag on your vacuum, it will present its own load, all by itself.  Therefore, using a Separator that will present less of a load will be important to you. 

I hope my verbosity helps you maintain a cleaner, healthier shop!
- Jim