Exhaust Filters - Wynn, filter box, others filters for fine dust?

Started by servant74, December 30, 2009, 12:05:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

servant74

I know we all would like to have Wynn or similar filters, but for the budget minded of us, I saw where someone built a box that fit house type air filters.

Does someone have suggestions on building 'proper' fine particle exhaust filters for the fine particles (down to half a micron) that come out?
Any pans, pictures, drawings, etc would be appreciated, along with how it is working for you.  Do you need/have to clean or replace them often? (Yes, without knowing how you are using them it is difficult to truly compare.)

Don Andrews

servant74

I saw a similar thing where someone had two smaller DC (bag systems, but same size), and basically cut some holes in the sides of a metal storage cabinet, One large input (like 6" and two 'exhaust' where the DC systems were attached).  It was like a 6' tal cabinet.

But my origional question was related to 'fine filters' and not the particle separation like the Thien Lid does nicely.

Billy

Quote from: Don Andrews on January 10, 2010, 08:44:51 AM
http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=36843&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

I pulled this link from another strand in here somewhere. Judgeing by the pics it looks to work very well.

Don

I'm going off topic here a little, but thanks for the link to that site!

Hobkirk

I am assuming you need lots of filter surface area. You could - in simplistic terms - build a box with 1/2/3/4 sides (whatever works for your location) that are mostly covered with filters rated for 1/2 micron. You need lots of surface area to duplicate the Winn filter. But where do you find fine air filters or filter material? I don't know if they rate car/truck air filters, but I would imagine they are too coarse. Ditto even the expensive house air filters (or am I wrong - HEPA filters, maybe?). Shop vacuum filters are rated but I think 5-10 of the really fine ones would be too expensive (the CleamStream by Gore for the Sears vac costs $35 and filters to .3 microns). Are the HEPA and allergin bags in consumer vacuums fine enough? Those bags typically cost $2-$4 each. Each bag would (I think) be turned into a 2-3 square foot flat filter.

JakesDad1

I'm not an air "expert" but......

My primary concern is trying to reduce bad air, not necessarily eliminate it. I don't have the money or inclination to go to those extremes. I have found that a K-Mart box fan ($15) with 2 moderately priced furnace filters duct taped to the intake side, makes a significant difference in the amount of "fines" floating around. Not scientific, but works for me.

Adam

What about oiled filters.  They are used for high volume of air with good filtaration on cars has anyone adapted them for woodworking?

socrates

I don't think that idea would be very practical for woodwork, dust sticks to oil, clogging filters. The average driver doesn't drive through dusty conditions remotely near what goes on in a workshop. Plus a DC moves a lot more air than your motor would be pulling in.