55 gallon plastic drum w/ shop vac

Started by nickrochon, March 15, 2013, 11:55:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickrochon

I'm looking at creating a DC for my (still in progress) little home basement "shop". Miter saw, orbital sander, router, etc. Nothing big and crazy, just a new hobby of mine. I have a 5 HP ridgid shop vac, and I came across a 55 gallon closed top drum like this

I am going to cut out the inner section on the top, and was planning to make a baffle. Can I build off the same original plans? Does the lower part of the baffle need to be dropped down at all to accommodate the width? Tried searching through the forum, couldn't find anything I thought was relevant (and maybe I missed it?). Any help would be appreciated!

phil (admin)

No, you don't need to drop the baffle due to the width.  The one thing I'd suggest is leaving a little bit more room between the bottom of the inlet elbow, and the top of the baffle, than the ones in my pictures on my main separator web page.  Leaving a little larger gap will prevent stuff from catching between the bottom of the elbow and baffle.  Maybe leave 1" there, that is plenty.

guy48065

Just to clarify--Do you mean "drop the baffle" so it's down inside the drum, putting the slot close to the drum side?

phil (admin)

Are you thinking of doing a "top-hat" design, or the original as on my original page like this:

http://www.jpthien.com/cy.htm

I was thinking you were going to do the original (with inlet/outlet in the top).  if that is the case, then the baffle is always down inside the drum.

BernardNaish

phil (admin)

Remove the )? from the link and it will work.

nickrochon

I understand the concept, lid to cover the top, circular baffle inside with a slot cut two thirds of the way around. I'm just wondering if I need to increase the distance between the lid and the baffle since the container is larger. I believe you answered it right the first time.

nickrochon

More questions!

The ridgid vac I have uses 1.875" hoses. I plan on making a PVC system to join my tools together, then use ball valves to open and close as needed. What size PVC/hose should I use, considering the 55 gallon drum?