Thien Seperator Plans for a 4" Harbor Freight Rig?

Started by WoodCzar, March 29, 2020, 11:24:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodCzar

Hope this message finds everyone here well:

Though a long time member here, I have not got around to setting up my dust collection system until now. After 30 minutes or so of searching, I guess I`m looking for the latest information or plans for a 4" inlet baffle, using a 2hp Harbor Freight set up. (I see the basic specs for a 5 gal can set up).

Thought I`d post this question out there as I continue to search.

Also, just read the thread of Home Depot selling Phil`s and other`s work. Incredible.

Peace

Anonymous2020

I'm in the process of doing the exact same thing. I'm going to build a Thien separator upstream and get rid of the bag in favor of a Wynn filter cartridge.  I'm stuck now on what to do with the HF tangential inlet part.  For starters, I think I'll just replace the filter fabric with the cartridge and see how it goes.  If everything works well, I'll figure out a way to make the cartridge into a top inlet and add a dust pan to the bottom of the cartridge.

Anyway, that's plan. Don't have dimensions yet but will likely try to make the sidewall from plexiglass with the integral-type inlet, rather than making a cylinder and cutting an inlet in it.

WoodCzar

Yeah, with all this social distancing, I finally can dedicate some time to set up a small shop.

Right now, I plan on using Phil`s plans here: http://www.jpthien.com/cy.htm  Identical, with the 45 degree elbows top and bottom, but everything 4 inch. Only thing I don`t like about it is the inside of the garbage can is not smooth. Wonder if it is an issue in anyway?

Anyway, my duct runs are relatively short. I`m going to keep the HF rig, motor side to my wall, short flex run to the can separator, short flex to a 45 degree fitting connected to my main trunk mounted same height as the separator, which will be only 8 ft or so. Only two trunks off the main to connect a table saw, and a miter saw which will adapt to a band saw and a sander.

Not using the HF bag either. Going the extra mile for the Wynn filter.

I just hope I`m not doing too much trial and error.

Good luck. Post findings. .............. Peace

dbhost

Quote from: WoodCzar on April 09, 2020, 03:12:27 PM
Yeah, with all this social distancing, I finally can dedicate some time to set up a small shop.

Right now, I plan on using Phil`s plans here: http://www.jpthien.com/cy.htm  Identical, with the 45 degree elbows top and bottom, but everything 4 inch. Only thing I don`t like about it is the inside of the garbage can is not smooth. Wonder if it is an issue in anyway?

Anyway, my duct runs are relatively short. I`m going to keep the HF rig, motor side to my wall, short flex run to the can separator, short flex to a 45 degree fitting connected to my main trunk mounted same height as the separator, which will be only 8 ft or so. Only two trunks off the main to connect a table saw, and a miter saw which will adapt to a band saw and a sander.

Not using the HF bag either. Going the extra mile for the Wynn filter.

I just hope I`m not doing too much trial and error.

Good luck. Post findings. .............. Peace

I know the topic is a bit on the old side, but wanted to answer your question. Assuming you are using one of those galvanized trash cans. They work well, Not sure why, but they do. I have my 2.5" separator based off of one of them.  Not saying one way or another, but I did a separate drum based separator and I am now working on one for the separator ring in the DC itself to save space and hopefully reduce / eliniate any restriction. Might be something worth looking into.