HELP for Baffle on Grizzly DC unit (not top hat)

Started by kwit, March 01, 2013, 06:36:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kwit

I am installing a thien baffle into the metal ring of my Grizzly dust collector (1hp) – similar to this posting

http://www.jpthien.com/smf/index.php?topic=100.0

I have searched through the Phil Thien website for the answer to my question but I am still confused

My INLET is 6" and is located a the top of the metal ring that holds the filter bags and waste bag

There is 3.75" from the bottom of the inlet to the bottom of the metal ring

QUESTION: should I install the baffle within a 1/2" from the bottom of the inlet OR should I bring it as far down as possible – say 3.5" or so

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated

phil (admin)

It probably won't matter that much in terms of separation of resistance, but lower would be slightly better.

kwit

Thanks for the prompt reply Phil

So it won't be to my detriment to mount the baffle 3" away from the inlet -

This is my first one so I don't want to handicap myself from the get-go - I am also installing my Wynn filter at the same time so it will be hard for me to guage how well everything works

Thanks

alan m

having the baffle plate lower should create a  and a half heigth seperater. the extra height should increase seperation of fines

phil (admin)

Quote from: alan m on March 01, 2013, 01:46:18 PM
having the baffle plate lower should create a  and a half heigth seperater. the extra height should increase seperation of fines

To a degree I suppose.  There is no outlet port, but one could always be added (I have typically called these chimneys for the folks working on single-stage mods).

alan m

sorry phil i assumed that that would be done either way.
i would put a layer of ply with a pipe in the middle  over the top of the ring

kwit

My ring has an inverted cone at the top above the inlet port - dips slightly down below the inlet

The diameter of this hole is 12" - should I make a chimney at the 12" diameter -  extending below the inlet and up into the filter

or should I fabricate something to have a 6" chimney?

phil (admin)

Consider making a chimney about 2" larger than the inlet.  So if your inlet is 6", make the diameter of the chimney 8".

kwit

Thanks to everyone who helped me out with this one; here's  pic of the finished modification

I want to run it this way for awhile - then make a chimney as suggested

Also looking to pick up a 2hp motor used on Craigslist

kwit

Sorry - my pics are too big - here's the baffle from underneath

alan m

looking good.
report back when you fire it up