Modifying a Jet 1100 DC with the Thien Baffle for a Wynn Filter

Started by gldnbrew, January 01, 2009, 08:14:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gldnbrew

Hi all,

This is my first post, though I have visited this site many times. I come across this site last winter sometime and filed it away for future use. Well today was the day, I made the seperator, because I wanted to add a Wynn Filter to my DC. My stock bag was way to dusty. It took me a leasurely 3 hours, with breaks, to make it. It was extremely easy.

Here is what I did.
First, I cut the seperator out of a 1/4" tempered hardboard with a jig saw. For the Jet the large diameter was 19 1/2"

Second, I cut some dowels and fitted them to the collar of the Jet. The angle was 65* and the length was 4 9/16 @ 12" diameter. I predrilled starter holes before I sanded the angle.

Third, drilled the collar

Forth, screwed it all together.

Fifth, assembled everything for a test run.

After an hour of running my drum sander and planer this is all that there was in my upper part of the Jet DC. Normally it would of been full with sawdust. Only a VERY FEW FINES as you can see.

Totally amazing, something so simple and easy to make, makes a GREAT BIG DIFFERENCE.

Thanks Phil for your great design, please send me your paypay email so I can make a donation.

Paul

phil (admin)

NICE WORK!

Have you ordered your Wynn filter yet?

In terms of contributions, I've started a new thread because a number of people have said the information is hard to find.  Here is the thread on making contributions:

http://www.jpthien.com/smf/index.php?topic=101.msg501#msg501

Please let us know your how you like it after you've used it a while.

I just read a thread over at the FWW forum from a gentleman that cleaned his filter for the first time after (I think) using the baffle for about a year.  It sounded like he was a fairly regular user of his DC, so certainly encouraging.

gldnbrew

Phil,

Looks like I will have to wait until Monday to order the filter kit, they seem to be closed, must be for the holiday.

I will keep you posted on how the filter kit works.

Paul

blackhorse16a

I'm planning on using Paul's design above. Would it benefit from having a tube going up into the filter above the baffle instaed of just the opening shown?

phil (admin)

Yes, a tube the same diameter as the hole which extends a couple of inches can benefit separation.

blackhorse16a

coloradotrout

I built something quite similar for my Jet 1.5HP cartridge unit.  I know I should get the Wynn filters to improve filtration.   Instead of dowels, I just attached the baffle with 3 small aluminum angle brackets.  I put 2 on the outside solid portion of the baffle (one at each end) and then one in the center of the drop slot.  I did not have a rivet gun, so I used small bolts and tapped some threads in the aluminum.   

I use 6" sewer & drain pipe and a very short chunk of 6" flex to each machine.   I seem to still get some suction of particles up into the filter, but not even close to what it used to be.   Also, with the baffle the plastic bag at the bottom does not get beaten and torn with all the swirling debris like it used to.   I can probably reuse the bags now and previously the bags were getting nicked and developing small holes.

I also found the cartridge hold-down bolts to not be very effective at keeping the filter tight to the body.  Before I would put 50 pounds of stuff atop before tightening the bolts, but this time , I ran a ratchet tie down strap over the top ( http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-1-inch-x-15-ft-ratcheting-tie-down-set-90984.html ).   A 2nd perpendicular strap would probably help.   I just pull the strap snug -- I don't want to crush the seal gasket too much.