Best strategy for Jet DC650-TS (two stage) collector?

Started by aaron_t, October 27, 2012, 08:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aaron_t

Hello,

I'm glad to have found this site and the wealth of information it contains.

A couple weeks ago I purchased a Jet DC650-TS dust collector via Craigslist for $110.  This is a two stage unit designed to sit atop a can / drum.  It has a 1hp motor, 4" inlet, and a cartridge filter.  Please see attached pictures.  I have a 31 gallon steel trash can ready for use with the dust collector.  The DC will be connected to one machine at a time.

I have learned from online reviews and correspondence with an owner of the same DC this unit quickly clogs the filter in operation.  I've worked my way through the forum in reverse order attempting to soak it in.  At this point I believe a top hat design separator would prolong the filter life and improve efficiency.  I'm thinking to remove the impeller from the plastic lid and remount to a top hat separator.

Does this seem like the right approach for my dust collector?

Thank you,
Aaron_T

phil (admin)

You could try to add an inlet elbow and baffle to your existing unit, or split it up and use the parts to make a top-hat.  Either way is an option.  The top had with a side inlet will put less of a hit on CFM.

alan m

i there. welcome to the forum.

i think i would make a cylender that the unil would sit on top of. it would have a baffel on the bottom and a side inlet . the unit itself would act as a top.
the seperater would sit on top of the barrel again.

you could put a side inlet into the barrel thats there and put a baffel in aswell but you would loose capasity and mke it harder to empty

Marv

I had the Delta version of that dust collector and did as Alan suggested which was to mount it on top of the drum with a side inlet. It was a bit of a pain to empty however not too bad since the filter easily screws off. Also, I swapped the filter bag for the Jet canister like you have and one thing I'd like to mention is to be sure to ground the filter as recommended or it will shock you pretty good if touched while running!

aaron_t

Thanks for the responses and suggestions guys, and thanks for the shock warning Marv!  I'm still getting my shop set up, but will post my setup once done.

Marv

You're welcome!  :)   BTW, my filter kit came with a wire that had an alligator clip on one end which I attached to the mesh on the filter and the other end had an eye fitting which I screwed to the motor housing but I'm sure you could easily make something yourself (I always found out the hard way when I forgot to clip it back on after emptying!  :o)