Duct Collector: 1.5 HP induction motor, 1200 CFM, 110V - 16A

Started by mgbloomfield, March 27, 2013, 01:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgbloomfield

There's a duct collector with a 1.5 HP induction motor, 1200 CFM and 110V - 16A.

I have a question about the 110V - 16 Amps. What happens when you plug in 16 Amps when the residential house is rated for 15 Amps?

BernardNaish

Hi, In the unlikely even that the DC actually draws 16 amps then you will blow a fuse or trip a cut out on your house supply. This assumes that your wiring is good and its protection devices are working OK. If wiring not good then you could fit a fuse or trip close to the DC and I suggest this might be rated at 10 amps. No guarantees and I suggest you contact the DC supplier for their advise before trying it as you never know why they are quoting such a high current. Hope it works out.

bbain

That dust collector will need to be plugged in to at least a 20 amp circuit.  You will need to contact an electrician to come in and install a 110v 20a breaker, appropriate wiring and receptacle.

Induction motors draw much more than FLA at startup, and fan loads like a dust collector are hard starting, they start under pretty much full load and I would guess that motor on a 15 a circuit will trip the breaker at startup every time.

jgt1942

mgbloomfield - FYI you need to really limit your runs with your unit. The 1.5 HP is not strong enough for long runs and will not be good for multiple machines at the same time.

bbain - has the right idea. BTW you "may" be able to just replace the 15 amp breaker with a 20 amp breaker but to do this the wiring in the circuit must be 12 or 10 gauge wire. Most likely it is 14 gauge (this is not good for a 20 amp circuit) and depending on the length of the run it may cause your motor to overheat when used for long periods (how long is long, when the motor starts to overheat or you feel the cord getting warm) or worst case create excessive heat somewhere in the wiring and create a fire.

mgbloomfield

The good news is that my garage is already set up for 120 v and 20 amps. So, I should be good to go for a "one-machine at a time" dust collection system.

jgt1942

Ah you have good news indeed! Currently I'm not pleased with my 2HP Grizzly and will also limit it to one machine at a time. Currently I have it wired for 220 and will use a 25 or 15 foot stranded 10 gauge extension cord to power it. However before I really start to use it I've got to get my shop in order and get stuff properly stored. I'm working on shelving and drawers but my progress is super slow.

Schreck

Quote from: BernardNaish on March 27, 2013, 04:06:19 PM
Hi, In the unlikely even that the DC actually draws 16 amps .....

The motor label is a statement of what the amperage would be at a given voltage if the motor is connected to a 1.5 HP load at steady operation.  The actual motor loading depends on the blower and everything connected to it: the filters, the hoses, ducts, fittings, blast gates etc. 

Upon start-up, the amperage will exceed the nameplate amps for a few seconds, but quickly settle down.  Here is a record of the amps drawn by a 1.5 HP dust collector, sampled at 1 second intervals.  It is served by a 20 amp 120 volt circuit breaker.  The (imported) motor nameplate does not list an amperage, but I would expect it to be 15 - 16 amps.  Starting amps were 3x this, but only for a second or two.

mgbloomfield

Quote from: Schreck on April 10, 2013, 10:06:25 PM
Upon start-up, the amperage will exceed the nameplate amps for a few seconds, but quickly settle down.  Here is a record of the amps drawn by a 1.5 HP dust collector, sampled at 1 second intervals.  It is served by a 20 amp 120 volt circuit breaker.  The (imported) motor nameplate does not list an amperage, but I would expect it to be 15 - 16 amps.  Starting amps were 3x this, but only for a second or two.

According to your picture, when the amps hit 45, why doesn't the circuit fuse trip? I thought if you exceed 20 amps, the circuit fuse would "flip a switch" and stop working. (Sorry, I don't know the electrical jargon. Hopefully you understand what I mean).

ssotangkur

Circuit breakers are designed with this in mind. They are supposed to trip based on power not just raw current. So if the breaker were to trip with 50 amps after 1 second, then it should trip with 100A in 1/2 second. Remember the breaker is there to protect the wiring, NOT TO PROTECT YOU. The wiring is able to stand short bursts of power over the rated limit so the breaker is designed accordingly.