News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Top Hat inner diameter??

Started by about2, February 02, 2012, 06:41:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

about2

I'm following the plans of Retired2 and made a mistake on the "rings" that are sandwiched between the top and the bottom. :-(    I intended to route the rings so that I would have a 19 inch inner diameter for the top hat.

Instead, I routed it a little larger since I was not paying attention.  I wanted to have rings that have an outer perimeter width of 1 5/8 inches but ended up with 1 1/8 inches.  The inner diameter of the top hat will be 20 1/8 inch if I use the "rings" as cut.  I have a 3hp blower and will have a 6 1/2 inch inside height using a bellmouth as Retired2 has implemented.  I'll also have a rectangular inlet about 20 inches long with a round 6 inch transition at the outer end.  The bell mouth top diameter is 5 7/8" to accommodate a six inch diameter x 6 inch long outer pipe extension.

My question is:  Is 20 1/8 inches inner top hat diameter ok given the foregoing parameters described?  I can remake the rings so I end up with a 19 inch inner diameter but I'd rather not if the ones cut will work.  I don't think there will be any structural compromise with the narrower rings but I'm wondering about performance. 

Best Regards,
Doug Olsen

Phil - Thank you very much for your separator idea and the forum.  In a short time I've gained a great deal of knowledge (well except for my question) from many posters.  Thank you all.

phil (admin)

I can't find retired2's build right now, so I'm having problems visualizing the differences.

Any chance you have a link to the thread w/ pics?  That may help me understand the differences to know if it will matter much.

RonS

Doug, The inner diameter of the top hat cannot be any larger than the ID of your collector can, since the ID of the tophat is the outter edge of your thien drop slot. If the ID of your collector can is equal to or greater then 20 1/8" then your retaining rings will be work fine.

Ron

about2

Hi Phil,

Here is the link:     http://www.jpthien.com/smf/index.php?topic=563.0 

Excellent discussion and presentation.  Inspired me :-)

Doug Olsen

about2

Quote from: RonS on February 02, 2012, 08:16:48 PM
Doug, The inner diameter of the top hat cannot be any larger than the ID of your collector can, since the ID of the tophat is the outter edge of your thien drop slot. If the ID of your collector can is equal to or greater then 20 1/8" then your retaining rings will be work fine.

Ron

Ron, Thanks for the reply.  I just ran out to measure the ID of my Brute trash can.  It's 20 1/4 inches so from a clearance standpoint the drop slot will be fine.

Regards,'
Doug 

phil (admin)

By "outer perimeter width" do you mean the width of the drop slot, or the width of the section that is sandwiched between the two pieces of MDF?

Any chance you have a picture?  I'm having trouble grasping the area of your concern.

Dougp28704

"Ron, Thanks for the reply.  I just ran out to measure the ID of my Brute trash can.  It's 20 1/4 inches so from a clearance standpoint the drop slot will be fine."

Doug,
Dont forget to measure the diameter of can in three places. Then take the average. All containers are out of round.

about2

Quote from: phil (admin) on February 03, 2012, 06:40:39 AM
By "outer perimeter width" do you mean the width of the drop slot, or the width of the section that is sandwiched between the two pieces of MDF?

Any chance you have a picture?  I'm having trouble grasping the area of your concern.

I'm referring to the width of the "ring" sections that are sandwiched between to top and bottom pieces of MDF.  I realized, when awaking in the middle of the night, that the width is too narrow because when I cut the slot it will encroach into the dado cut in the bottom to fit over the can.  I will re-cut the rings so they are 1 5/8 inches wide instead of the 1 1/8 as they are now.  I'll end up with a top hat ID of just over 19", the same as Retired2's.   

Thanks, for trying to understand my problem.  I think the solution is at hand since my subconscious was working on it while I slept :-)
Doug

Dougp28704

Still, be careful when you decide on diameter dimension for the dado. I had to make mine over because I didnt take the average.