Dealing With DC Noise, and Other Questions

Started by NedG, January 28, 2012, 02:43:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NedG

I have ordered a Delta Unisaw and now need a dust collection system dedicated primarily to this saw in my garage shop.

I've looked at a lot of systems, and conclude the HF 2hp is okay (mostly, I've found their stuff to be poor, but in this case maybe it's adequate) and I will couple it with a Wynn Envir. cartridge filter and a Thien top hat separator as per http://youtu.be/m3RuKFqYHNQ on YouTube.

I have the following questions for this group, and will be very grateful for your comments:

1. Reduction of noise is a goal.  I'm thinking about putting the DC motor/fan/clear plastic big assembly in a sealed or nearly sealed, cabinet.  The top hat and its trash can will be outside of the cabinet, as will the cartridge filter.  What do you think of this?  Any safety/heat build-up/fire  concerns?  Is there a better solution for dealing with the noise, beyond earplugs?

2. With a top hat and Wynn filter, can the clear plastic bag that's part of the HF unit be shortened?  If I can mount the HF motor/fan/clear bag in a cabinet (thereby not using the HF stand), I'd like to clip off much of the plastic bag so it takes up less room. With a separator, it will collect very little saw dust.

3. Can the Wynn Envir. cartridge filter be place in a horizontal orientation, without loosing effectiveness?

Thanks a lot for any guidance!

Ned

phil (admin)

(1) Yes, motors generate heat, they need a way to get rid of this heat, or else premature failure will result.  A small box enclosing the blower/motor won't provide enough air.  Some guys put their units in a closet.  That would be okay.

(2) Yes, you can shorten the bag.

(3) Yes, the filter can be sideways.