delta 50-850 wont stay running

Started by dabullseye, June 22, 2011, 07:51:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dabullseye

my 220v dc was working good then i restarted it again and it popped the factory breaker after about a 45 second run time, the case of the motor was very hot, i let it cool down for an hr and it tripped the breaker again. right now it is stripped down to the factory filter ring hub and it still pops the breaker. any ideas i checked all the connections and they are good, i have a very bad feeling that it bit the dust

Vodkaman

Did anything change in the way you used the motor, such as a different power outlet, extension cable, or have you changed the load from its normal application in any way. is the motor noisy, could indicate a bearing problem.

Check bearings/bushes and moving parts for any extra play and smooth action.

Check the switch box for any signs of burning/carbon. Are the contacts badly corroded. Check the capacitor for any damage or distortion of the package, the capacitor is quite often the culprit.

Open the motor and again check for any charring/carbon. Check any brushes etc for damage or excessive wear. Any burning smells. Examine the wiring for any damage. If you have a meter, check the resistance across coils, if they are not all the same, could be a short from damaged insulation.

There is a ton of reading available on the web. Don't limit yourself to just reading about your particular model motor.

This is just a few ideas to get you started. I am sure you will receive more suggestions. Good luck.

Dave

dabullseye

i never touched it dc i just use the remote starter. i can spin the impeller and dont hear or feel any resistance. nothing inside the switch box looks or smells fried. i guess i have to remove the motor from the frame and do some surgery. i have a feeling it has a bad winding when i turned it back on it just sounded weak and there was very little suction and it popped the breaker on the motor again and it was not up to full rpm and it got real hot again.

dabullseye

there is one inside the switch box and another on the side of the motor which im guessing that is the one. there are 4 wires grouped in pairs of 2 which go to the 30 micro F cap.
since i have it all torn down this far im also going to put a baffle inside the bag hub or start construction on a top mount unit if i have to order a new motor.

Vodkaman

Quote from: dabullseye on June 23, 2011, 08:41:51 AM
there is one inside the switch box and another on the side of the motor which im guessing that is the one. there are 4 wires grouped in pairs of 2 which go to the 30 micro F cap.
since i have it all torn down this far im also going to put a baffle inside the bag hub or start construction on a top mount unit if i have to order a new motor.
I agree. The small cap inside the switch box, is probably connected across the switch contacts and its job is to reduce arcing when the contacts open. The motor would still work without this capacitor, but it would cause spikes on the mains.

I have had motor capacitors fail on me, but they generally show signs, like deformation or even splitting of the plastic housing. If you can eliminate the bad winding possibility and see no other signs of damage, it may be worth replacing the capacitor before replacing the motor. I realize that this could result in throwing good money after bad, but these motors are not cheap.

I would be tempted to visit my local electronics store and buy a 30MF capacitor, make sure it is rated for your voltage or larger. It will probably be the wrong shape to bolt on, you may get lucky. But a capacitor is a capacitor, nothing really special about them. It will be considerably cheaper than the Delta part. If it works, then you have to option to search for the correct fitting part.

Dave

dabullseye

I took it to a shop and it would be wk before i got it back. Told the guy cu. Ok did some reading and I opened up the motor and ohms checked good and they wernt burnt. Undid the cap and tied the wires together and it came rt up to rpm. So I'm off to find a cap

dabullseye

oh yea its on its own 220 circuit and the new cap is working. next is to add a baffle to the dc. i ended up calling the motor shop as a last ditch effort after the guy told me it would take a week.this time i talked to a guy and he said they could check the cap, i told the guy i was there earlier and the guy i talked to never said nothing about doing a test as it turned out it was the same guy and he had the cap,so i went down there again to get the cap and the guy ended up giving it to me. not to bad for a total of 60 miles total in 2 round trips. now it makes more sense to add the baffle inside the DC.

Vodkaman

I am very happy that you solved your problem. Now you are a motor repair expert ;D

Dave

outterbanks

My Delta 50-850 did the samething. After checking the motor is wanting to spin backwards then trips the breaker.  how did you fix yours?

dabullseye