No Longer confused - Top Hat it is

Started by about2, December 05, 2011, 01:45:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

about2

I'm new here and have read one or two posts regarding DC's having the inlet above the cone.  Mention has been made of a "tube" as well as "top hat" in the cases where the inlet is above the cone.  Someone has removed the cone itself and turned it upside down, a method I have no capability of doing. 

I have an older two bag tower DC with the inlet above the cone and I want to implement the Thien separator.  One side of the two tower bag set up is not active and I'm only using one side.   I'm confused about how to carry this out and wonder if I would be better off just using a 32 gal trash can, install the separator and hook it up to the DC.  I'm concerned about CFM loss in either case and perplexed about putting the separator in my DC with the cone lower than the inlet.

Given what I've read and the terms used, I am at a loss here and would appreciate any advice.  Thanks

fussy

Read some more.  You're at the end of the train.  Go to page 23 in this forum and look at the pictures in one of the posts there and that should answer most of your questions.  Also, D. B. Host gave very full detailed instructions on how to build a separator for a shop vac.  About the same time frame as the post I mentioned, another poster published a video of a HF dc conversion.  Read from back to front in this site to catch up.  Lots of stuff here, you just have to get grounded.

Steve

about2

Thanks, I have been going backwards :-) with research since my post.  I feel I'm getting closer and thus far it looks like I should turn my collector ring upside down so the inlet is under the cone opening.  Then run a pipe thru the cone up into the Wynn Filter.  This does not yet create a Thien separator and I've found some great ideas for that. 

I'm going to jump to page 23 right now, thanks for the tip.

Doug Olsen

fussy

Doug,

I'm a little confused about what you're doing too.  If you're modifying a ordinary dc, no need to turn the ring upside down or run a pipe through the cone into the Wynn.  A simple plywood or hardboard baffle, 1-90* elbow, and 1 pvc connector, 3 screws, bolts, whatever.  Couldn't be simpler.  Follow the posts, look at the pics, and come back if you need help.  The only dumb question is the one you didn't ask.

Steve

fussy

Doug,

If you haven't found it yet, maybe this will help you to understand what the idea is.  Go to www.jpthien.com/smf/index.php?topic=145.0 for a picture essay on how to add a Thein baffle to a dc.  It may require a little measuring to adapt to your machine, but nothing you can't handle. The most important things are the size and orientation of the drop slot, and getting a good fit.  The pipe connector that serves as exit from the collector/entrance to the filter needs to be dead center and to protrude about 1" or 1 1/2". 

The baffle will keep dust in the bag and will eliminate filter clogging.  You will still need to empty the bag.  To avoid that, you will have to add a full-boogie SEPARATOR in-line ahead of the dc.  This will catch nearly all dust before it goes through the impeller (important if you sweep the floor with the dc), but adds complexity, takes up space, and decreases somewhat the static pressure. 

There's lots of info here.  I added the baffle to my HF dc and am thrilled, then added a separator to my shop vac.  Built a roll-around cart with the vac on top and collection barrel beneath.  Same horizontal footprint as just the vac.  I have had to blow out the filter in the vac twice in 2 years.  NOTHING gets past the separator. 

Good luck.

Steve

about2

Guys,
Thanks for your help.  Since posting I've read a great deal and learned that a top hat is exactly what I need.  In addition to a Wynn 35A filter.   My only issue is that the bag housing has the cone below the inlet.  I'll likely turn it upside down but I wish I had the skill to take the cone off and re-weld it above the inlet.  Upside down requires that I install a 10 inch "tube" in the cone and extend it up into the Wynn filter a little bit.  I guess this is worth it since the dust collector has a 3hp motor. 

Anyway, thanks for the help and thanks to all who post on this forum.  It has enabled me to acquire a considerable amount of know how reading the posts from members of the community.  My heartfelt thanks.

Doug

about2

I forgot to mention that my dust collector also has a 6 inch intake in the blower housing.  This is another reason I want to adapt this DC with a Thien top hat and 6 inch ducting.  Well actually, 6" flex hose knowing that there is some air flow restriction with flex hose.  This is the best I can do without going full bore on a cyclone.

Doug