5", Rectangular Inlet, Bellmouth Outlet with Air Straightener, Top Hat Separator

Started by retired2, August 25, 2011, 08:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B2Pi

Yup. Just found your post. Where's the self-smack-head emoji?

I'm preparing for a long distance move and a new shop. Perhaps I'll buy an anemometer, and play with that idea.

Lapdi Woodworks

Hi Retired2,

I apologize since the begin for rise again (I guess) the same question but....
where I can find some plans with dimensions? I was reading hundreds of posts but nothin.... :-[
maybe I'm not able to find them in....

thanks a lot!

ciao !

retired2

Quote from: Lapdi Woodworks on December 10, 2018, 05:11:17 AM
Hi Retired2,

I apologize since the begin for rise again (I guess) the same question but....
where I can find some plans with dimensions? I was reading hundreds of posts but nothin.... :-[
maybe I'm not able to find them in....

thanks a lot!

ciao !

See Reply #3 of this thread.  Those are my dimensions and should serve as a guide.  Beyond that everyone adjusts the number to suit their own needs.  Often, it is the drum size that sets the diameter of the separator.  Inlet and outlet size depend somewhat on what you have for a blower and what size piping it uses.

The Thien separator is pretty forgiving.  By that I mean you can build it with many different dimensions, but as long as you stick to the basic configuration it will work very effectively.

Lapdi Woodworks

Hi Retired,

ok, I'll try to do my best, even because I'm using a shop vacuum cleaner motor, directed installed on the top of the separator. I did some calculations, starting from the data of the motor ( 120 cfm, 94 inH2O, 1400, 1.6 hp) and those are the average values of the commercial workshop cleaners.
I hope it works,

please let me know any suggestions,
thanks a lot.

retired2

Quote from: Lapdi Woodworks on December 10, 2018, 10:30:08 AM
Hi Retired,

ok, I'll try to do my best, even because I'm using a shop vacuum cleaner motor, directed installed on the top of the separator. I did some calculations, starting from the data of the motor ( 120 cfm, 94 inH2O, 1400, 1.6 hp) and those are the average values of the commercial workshop cleaners.
I hope it works,

please let me know any suggestions,
thanks a lot.

I didn't realize you were planning on using a shop vac to power your system.  I am not sure my build is a very good model for a shop vac system.  Shop vacs have a lot of SP, but they don't move much air.  I'm afraid I can't give you much help for a shop vac system.  I have no experience with them because I've always felt they are the wrong tool for the job, and if you make it the heart of your dust collection system, you can expect some disappointments.

I suggest you start a new thread soliciting help for your design.  You will need to provide as much information about what you would like to do and how you plan to use the system.  Is the shop vac to be stationery, or will it be moved from tool to tool?  What kind of equipment is producing the waste you would like to capture.

rondako

Doing lots of make ready for my HF upgrade when it arrives.   I've read and watched so many posts and videos and seen several different designs -- many of which seem to have the baffle positioned in different locations relative to the intake port.  I know there is a prescribed place to position the baffle such that the baffle work correctly, but I'm wondering if anyone has tried just doing a full disc that is 1 1/8 smaller in radius than the bottom piece -- basically a baffle that is a smaller full concentric disc that would be held in place by the threaded rods? Did it work? Any problems? 

retired2

Quote from: rondako on March 17, 2019, 11:58:09 AM
Doing lots of make ready for my HF upgrade when it arrives.   I've read and watched so many posts and videos and seen several different designs -- many of which seem to have the baffle positioned in different locations relative to the intake port.  I know there is a prescribed place to position the baffle such that the baffle work correctly, but I'm wondering if anyone has tried just doing a full disc that is 1 1/8 smaller in radius than the bottom piece -- basically a baffle that is a smaller full concentric disc that would be held in place by the threaded rods? Did it work? Any problems?

I suggest you start a new thread with this question.

tommitytomtom

As I've just finished most of my collector and in testing stage, I'm very curious about you bell mouth and did you make it or make it from some common object ? I need a 6" bell mouth.

retired2

Quote from: tommitytomtom on May 01, 2019, 03:15:34 PM
As I've just finished most of my collector and in testing stage, I'm very curious about you bell mouth and did you make it or make it from some common object ? I need a 6" bell mouth.

Bought it locally from a spiral wound pipe shop.  You should have no trouble finding one on the internet.