5", Rectangular Inlet, Bellmouth Outlet with Air Straightener, Top Hat Separator

Started by retired2, August 25, 2011, 08:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BernardNaish

You can bash your own from some pipe. See here:

http://www.jpthien.com/smf/index.php?board=1.0

Its very easy. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

jnug

I might see if I can get my auto body shop friends to put something together for me. The last of the great tin knockers are knocking metal in body shops around the country. I would like something that really fits as it just looks like an obvious leakage opportunity.

Either that or I might just give up any thoughts of shaping the end to anything other than simplest if it means I don't get a real good seal there. I am thinking all of the effort to shape that air passage is for naught if there is any leakage there or maybe just as bad given the location, added air turbulence.

retired2

Quote from: BernardNaish on February 24, 2015, 11:35:04 AM
You can bash your own from some pipe. See here:

http://www.jpthien.com/smf/index.php?board=1.0

Its very easy. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Looks like a bad link Bernard, unless your intent was to just give him the entire Forum index.

jnug

I gotta' say that the inlet pipe that is in DominicG's graphic looks so much like some of the HVAC reducers I have seen at web sites that I am really wondering if that is what it is. But when I go and look at the dims for the HVAC reducers I see at HVAC parts sites, nothing actually looks like something that would work dimensionally.

jnug

I might have found something for inlet pipe options!

There is a company in Tx....Duct Direct that shows duct reducers both round to round and square to round as well as angled reducers. They just show the relative dimensions on the graphics at their web site. The person I talked to who really needed to forward me on said they do that because they actually make these in a number of different flavors. She did go on to say they sell to everybody.

So I have a call in to them and a name to talk to. I will find out what I can and post it up here. If you look at their Spiral Pipe and Fittings page you will see a number of things that might work depending on what sizes are actually available. Look at an F50 for example if you go there.

Anyway I will post up more as soon as I know more.

This below is not a working link but it should be the right URL for the Spiral Pipe and Fittings page.

http://www.ductdirect.com/products/spiral-pipe-fittings.php

jnug

I finally am getting back to my separator build. Too much work and to little time lately.

I have a question about the bellmouth. I did find your info again retired2. You are using a 5" bellmouth. Does that allow you to exit your separator with a 6" outlet and hose or are you using 5" throughout? I already have the 6" hose and hardware and had planned on 6" hose. Just wondering since I know we have to make a sleeve over the end of the bellmouth if the choice of 5" is determined to end up with a 6" outlet and hose?

I noticed that my link to the potential source for inlets does work. Those folks have yet to get back to me though. I see that "Spiral" has inlets and Bellmouths. Maybe I will just get both pieces from them.

I have most of the components..the mdf, the ply, the hardboard....need the lexan sheet to cut and wood to build the support for the lexan. I think I know you used maple retired2. Anything particular drive that decision?

retired2

Quote from: jnug on March 12, 2015, 04:28:04 AM
I finally am getting back to my separator build. Too much work and to little time lately.

I have a question about the bellmouth. I did find your info again retired2. You are using a 5" bellmouth. Does that allow you to exit your separator with a 6" outlet and hose or are you using 5" throughout? I already have the 6" hose and hardware and had planned on 6" hose. Just wondering since I know we have to make a sleeve over the end of the bellmouth if the choice of 5" is determined to end up with a 6" outlet and hose?

I noticed that my link to the potential source for inlets does work. Those folks have yet to get back to me though. I see that "Spiral" has inlets and Bellmouths. Maybe I will just get both pieces from them.

I have most of the components..the mdf, the ply, the hardboard....need the lexan sheet to cut and wood to build the support for the lexan. I think I know you used maple retired2. Anything particular drive that decision?

My system is 5" throughout, no 6" anywhere.  My DC has a 5" connection.  The only maple I used was where the transition piece is connected to the separator.  I used maple simply because I had some scrap laying around and I wanted something with strength to mount the steel inlet pipe.

jnug

Well maybe i will ge some 5" hose and put the 6" I have in storage. If I remember it correctly folks have mused that 5" is actually optimal for this separator system. I could be wrong on that but I think that is how I remember it.

JonWho?

Thank you Phil & Retired 2.
I stole the bellmouth & air straightener idea & used part of a 6" Aeroport for the bellmouth. Precision port makes the kit.

This is an in can baffle now. When I have free time I'll build a top hat. Then I'm really gonna copy Retired2!

retired2

Quote from: JonWho? on March 14, 2015, 08:35:53 PM
Thank you Phil & Retired 2.
I stole the bellmouth & air straightener idea & used part of a 6" Aeroport for the bellmouth. Precision port makes the kit.

This is an in can baffle now. When I have free time I'll build a top hat. Then I'm really gonna copy Retired2!

Be careful with the 6" bellmouth.  I'm seeing occasional reports of increased waste bypass attributed to the bellmouth.  i don't think it is the bellmouth per se, I think the problem occurs when people put a 6" bellmouth in a separator with a diameter that is too small.  The flare on a 6" bellmouth is large in diameter, and that puts the exhaust pick-up closer to the perimeter where the waste is swirling.

JonWho?

Thank you. That's logical.
This is made out of ABS so I flush trimmed the flange & popped off the vertical support to decrease the overall size by about 7/8".
I will keep a watch on it & maybe go slightly larger with the Top hat.
Guess we're gonna find out!

JonWho?

Funny how every time I have an idea, someone is there to say be careful.

And I haven't even asked anyone to hold my beer yet!

JonWho?

Do you remember the overall outer diameter of the bell mouth?
Thought I'd seen it on here so I'm likely overlooking it.

retired2