Another TopHat design that works.

Started by galerdude, June 15, 2011, 07:59:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

horn man

Since the inner height of your design is approximately 4", how far does the 5" exit pipe extend into the separation chamber?

galerdude

I think it was approximately 2", i.e., half the height of Thien top hat chamber. I never experimented with the suggested half the diameter of the exit pipe, which would have been a 2-1/2" entry. It very well could work better at that distance but was so impressed with the performance at 2" that I just siliconed the top of the exit adapter (a 4" DWV union) and called it complete. Sorry for the vagueness of that but at the time I was wanting to get it squared away and move on. Note, that I also went with a narrower slot than prescribed so am unclear if that has an effect on the suggested exit pipe depth of entry. There seems to be variances that I have no knowledge of it's effect or outcome. Bottom line being; I'm very pleased with the performance and it satisfies my needs. Probably won't redo it but no doubt will be building a smaller version for other vacuum collection, when time allows.
    With all the data that has been shared on this forum and the positive progression of Phil's design by its members, I would honestly be bewildered if one could not build a successful system. I am constantly amazed at the new and successful techniques that are employed and shared here  8).

Regards,
Gale

jgt1942

Quote from: os1kne on September 09, 2011, 05:41:51 AM
Very interesting!  Nice execution!

Thanks - easy import into SketchUp and will help me.

jgt1942

galerdude - what is the inside/outside dia of your can?

galerdude

Quote from: jgt1942 on March 27, 2012, 11:29:48 AM
galerdude - what is the inside/outside dia of your can?

The outside diameter is 18-1/2". Inside diameter is approximately 18-1/8".

galerdude

Quote from: galerdude on March 19, 2012, 06:03:01 PM
Well, I've had to change my setup concerning after the Thien separator. Originally had a Wynn filter on the HF DC. I had acquired it previous to building the Thien top hat separator. I at that time had the DC in the shop. When I went to the top hat I put the DC outside the shop in an attached unheated room. I've been using it a lot and have had problems with the filter plugging. I think it's from the condensation from the warm dust hitting the ice cold filter. It's really caked. Anyways, I put the bag back on and will report back in a month or two and let us all know if that helped. So far, in just two days there is quite the noticeable improvement.

Till then,
Gale

Quick update on results from pulling the Wynn filter and replacing with the stock HF top bag. Seems to put a little more debris into the plastic bottom bag. Before, when emptying the barrel there would be about a 1/2 cup in the plastic bag. Now, with the top bag on, about a cup and a half of debris for a barrel full. It has more vacuum according to the Manometer I leave hooked up, so I can live with the extra in the bottom bag  ;D. And no clogged filter! Also, no noticeable dust in the shed, where the DC resides, blowing thru the bag. Had all kinds of dust out there when the filter would clog up  ::). All in all, a good change for my system. Thought I'd share the info.

Gale

phil (admin)

Have you considered eliminating the filter altogether and piping the outlet directly outside?

Seems you aren't returning the air to the shop now.  So why bother with a filter at all?

galerdude

Thanks for the feedback and suggestion, Phil. I like the idea of that. Will pursue that innovation and get back with results.

Thanks!
Gale