News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Newbie Questions

Started by JeffQ, February 05, 2010, 08:33:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeffQ

I thinking about tackling an internal Thien baffle for my new to me Grizzy 1029 2 hp DC this weekend. I finally am getting a long awaited woodshop put together with the proper tools (Jet cab saw, combo J/P,etc) and unfortunately the hard-piped 3hp cyclone is going to have to wait.

Since I managed to score the Griz DC for free, I thought I'd upgrade the bags to a Wynn filter and try the easiest and cheapest version of a internal Thien separator first and then move to an external drum separator only if I needed to.

Here's my question: The Griz 1029 has a shallow conical ring just inside the metal bag support. Can I get away with installing only the bottom 120/240 baffle in the lower part of the bag ring using the appropriate nom. 5" tall standoffs attached the underside of the conical ring - or do I need a separate full circle top baffle plate above the conical ring too?

Also, should I be concerned about sealing the bottom baffle to the inside of the griz bag ring with silicone, or is an air tight seal in the 120 degree area not critical?

Sorry to be asking questions that should probably be obvious to me, but most of the posted pics seem to focus on separate barrel installs where the need for a top plate to seal the can is imperative.

phil (admin)

As long as the conical part points down (like a funnel you'd use to pour dust into the bottom bag), then you don't NEED a top donut.  A top donut may improve separation a little, but it isn't critical, and you can always add it later.

And no, silicone isn't necessary.