Question on D.C. mounted baffle and my "revised" 120 deg. tip

Started by MstrCarpenter, September 16, 2009, 02:10:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MstrCarpenter

I recently acquired a  Reliant 2hp. single stage D.C.. I am planning on adding Phil's baffle and pleated filters (I like the stacked auto filter idea, but would like to know the particle rating). My question is reguarding the existing steel donut. Robert Vaughn's post with links (a few down the list) shows stand-offs mounted to the original ring. On this one the ring is slightly funnel shaped with a 9" hole and is mounted below the intake, so I think it has to go. Phil's design has the outlet tube extending below the lid an inch or two. If I use a filter that doesn't exactly fit the D.C. housing then I will need to make an adapter, most likely for a smaller diameter. I can make this with a tube extending into the D.C. housing. I could attempt to make it funnel shaped on the top to direct fines dropping off the filter back to the tube. Does this sound like I'm over engineering. I would just do it the way Robert and many others have if I had a similar set-up. If you suggest the tube route; What size tube? How high above the baffle? My housing is 8" tall with a 5" inlet, leaving 2" below and 1" above.

Oh yea! the tip. Months ago I posted a tip for 120 deg.s. If you go to the link in "Vaughn"s post you'll see the same "compass" I suggested except I just drive a nail 9-1/2" from an end. In the next photo, instead of using a fancy digital protractor (which I don't own), try this. Using the same stick move the nail to any point on the circle. Using the hole mark a second point on the circle. (That's 1/6th of the pie or 60 deg.s.) Now mark the circle on the other side of the nail. (That's two pieces of pie or 120 deg.s!) This is the same tip I posted previously but Roberts photos are much better than my "notepad" drawing.)

I'll check back often to read your suggestions. Thanks for reading mine.