News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

My Separator Pics

Started by Aardwolf, April 26, 2009, 02:15:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aardwolf

Here finally are the pics of the 50 gallon Thien baffle separator I built for my shop vac with the 20" sonotube, & the pvc fittings I made to adapt it over to the shopvac.

The Plexiglass window works well, you can see the shavings dropping during use & I will be able to clearly see when its almost full.  Right now its about 25% full

This has been one of the best couple of hours time & low$ investments I made in my shop to this point.

After 2 weeks, I still haven't changed my opinion, IT WORKS GREAT!!  This is removing absolutely everything from my air stream except for a small amount of some very fines. 

I left the bolts long until this point as I thought that I may need to adjust the spacing, but I am going to cut them off now as I really dont think I could improve in any way on the separation %

Thanks Phil

Put Together

The PVC/Shopvac adapter fittings M & F
You can not really see it well in the right fitting, but the top 1"
is just ground out on the inside until the shop vac hose fits correctly.
To make them I chucked a small sanding drum into my drill press &
rotated the pipe pieces by hand on the table until I got them to the correct fit.
Took less than 5 min each.

How it connects to the Vac & is still removable

Side view showing fitting clearances

Angle view showing fitting placement

Side view showing inlet clearance

Side view of unit complete

bennybmn

Where did you get the sonotube? I can only find 18" in my area.... Looks GREAT!

Aardwolf

The place where I work part time had a length left over from a customer project as well as a length of 24".  Sono tube of this size is usually used for commercial work, not residential.  Possibly a concrete supplier would be able to point you in the right general direction.

bennybmn

Thanks. I emailed a concrete supply place near me, no bueno. They carry it, but none in stock. I'll keep my eyes peeled. It's not urgent anything.