News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Dimensions

Started by jtwitty, February 13, 2021, 03:06:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jtwitty

Are there any recommendations for the on the following?
Intake and outlet size - I am using a vacuum with 2.5" hose. I'm guessing going larger will slow down the velocity?
Distance from lid to baffle.
Distance from baffle for the bottom of the outlet.
What is preferred, Inlet coming in from the top with an elbow in the air path or the inlet coming in from the side and flush with the side.
Videos show 2 different inlets. Round PVC attached to the side of the separator or round PVC going into a square chamber that is attached to the side of the seperator?
I have seen 2 different baffles. Slot cut away from the wall or slot cut all the way to the wall. pictures are attached. Is there a reason to use one over the other.

Thank you!

Enigmadan

Here's what I've gleaned from reading quite a few threads on here, but by no means am I an expert.
I believe the two different baffle designs in your pics are for (top) one that goes inside the chip bin, and (bottom) a tophat that goes on top of the chip bin.
The one I made is a tophat, but I made the drop slot to the edge, flush with the curved lexan.
Distance from the lid to baffle can be anything from the diameter of the Inlet up. Taller reportedly is more efficient.
The distance from the bottom of the outlet to the baffle is roughly 1/2 diameter of the outlet. If you make it temporarily adjustable, you can fine tune it in use.
A couple of fairly exhaustive threads have stated that ideally, a tangential rectangular Inlet is most efficient. I think if you're a home woodworker that's not generating huge volumes of chips, any design will work for you. Some are more efficient than others, but all will greatly reduce the quantity of material entering the dust collector itself, which is the ultimate goal. The separator is most effective on chips, not dust, so filter inspection and maintenance shouldn't be neglected.