News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

extending bag ring

Started by shorthanded, August 19, 2020, 11:39:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shorthanded

I am going to modify my Penn State single stage converter with a Thine Top Hat and a cartridge filter. I have a question about the bag ring. My ring has a helix in the ring, I saw post  by RBOETTCHER where he added a baffle in the ring. My question is, Would it help to make an extension to the bag ring so as to  allow the baffle to be placed further from the helix? 2 How best to attach a bucket to the ring or the extension? Is a flat disk ok or should it have some taper, sort of funnel shape? shorthanded

alan m

shorthanded

no pictures , i an still in the thinking stage. I got the idea on a post here my RBOETCHER. I want to eliminate the plastic bag most use when they switch from the two bag system to the wynn filter and the plastic bag. shorthanded

shorthanded

This site seems to be more of a show and tell forum than a place to get questions answered. Not even the person who first asked how to eliminate the plastic bag would answer a pm, Thanks Alan for your help  I think I will proceed with my own idea. shorthanded

Schreck

Many people have built successful separators over the years and are happily using them.  There may be fewer people building, experimenting and tuning their separators now than at other times of the year.  Activity always seems to pick up in the fall!

For your question, look at this post:
http://www.jpthien.com/smf/index.php?topic=1109.msg6086#msg6086
I am still using my "temporary" Penn state DC-2, 1.5 HP dust collector.  Spiral ramp has been removed, baffle and plastic bag below the ring, over-sized felt filter bag above the ring.  There is also a plywood ceiling with a coffee can chimney that allows air to flow up into the filter. I'll look for photos this evening.

The spiral ring is designed to deflect airflow, chips and sawdust down into the lower filter bag on this model.  With a Thien baffle, you want the solids to drop down into a space that is a dead-end for airflow.  The airflow must then be up and away from the solids.

Does your collector have one bag above and one bag below the ring?

retired2

Quote from: shorthanded on August 20, 2020, 06:58:25 AM
This site seems to be more of a show and tell forum than a place to get questions answered. Not even the person who first asked how to eliminate the plastic bag would answer a pm, Thanks Alan for your help  I think I will proceed with my own idea. shorthanded

shorthanded,

Forgive me for taking exception to your comments.  The truth is many people come to this forum, get what they need, and are never heard from again.  Those that take the time to show and tell should be commended for sharing their experience.  I have made over 700 posts on this forum.  The vast majority are offering help to others.  Only a handful of us have stuck around for years providing help to others.  I only offer advice on separator designs where my personal experience adds value.

Good luck with you build.

Retired2

Schreck

Quote from: shorthanded on August 19, 2020, 01:36:11 PM
no pictures , i an still in the thinking stage. I got the idea on a post here my RBOETCHER. I want to eliminate the plastic bag most use when they switch from the two bag system to the wynn filter and the plastic bag. shorthanded
If you eliminate the plastic bag, you will be emptying the bucket frequently.  I tried using a baffle in this dust collector and it vibrated something terrible.  The ramp had been shortened a bit.

Then I removed the ramp altogether and added the plywood ceiling and it worked much better with minimal vibration. The ramp is not helpful if you want to add a baffle.

shorthanded

Thanks Schreck for the reply. Your pictures show where I want to add the baffle. Only I had not planned to remove the spiral.I had originally planned to put an extension on the bottom of the ring then add some sort of container to catch the chips, keep in mind I have a homemade trash can type separator that I use on my planner.I plan on a proper Thien separator at a later date. I have six more weeks of light duty no more than 20pounds. I got my Wynn filter the other day, so I plan to make the donut to mount that, then a donut for the bottom to mount water softener container that is 18 in in diameter. My collector has the two felt bags, will replace the top with the Wynn filter and solid barrel on bottom in place of clear plastic bag. want eliminate that clamp strap thing as it is a real pain to get on. thanks again for your reply. shorthanded