Northern Hemisphere vs Southern Hemisphere Dust Collector

Started by WoodCzar, May 21, 2020, 07:19:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodCzar

Been thinking about this for a while. Toilets flush counter clockwise in the northern hemisphere as opposed to clockwise below the equator. Same goes for the air spinning in  tornadoes.

I see most cyclone designs the vortex counter clockwise. But I do see some that create a clockwise flow.

Is there anyone that mapped out the repercussions of a design that went clockwise?

Just sayin`

alan m

someone posted a link to a study on this last year (or earlier) . it claimed that having the air enter the impeller straight with no rotation was better than rotating the same as the impeller.

I don't have an air straightener but it is on my list to add the next time the separator is disassembled.
retired 2 has  one I think. check out his thread for his data on it.

ultimately I think its one of those things that has very little benefits that its not worth ripping things apart to change but well worth doing if your building or changing anyway.
as a result I would choose the rotation direction based on what suits

bbain

Water in a toilet turns in the direction the flush jets point.

Coriolis affect would have negligible impact on such a small volume of air moving in a dust collector.

retired2

Do a search on Coriolis effect.  What you will find is you?ve spent too much time thinking about it! 

With regard to air direction relative to impeller rotation, with or against both have a negative effect, different, but negative.  I must have posted Cincinnati Fan?s engineering document in this subject a hundred times.  If you want to read it search Cincinnati Fan or Cincinnati Blowers.

Kelly Bellis

Quote from: retired2 on May 30, 2020, 06:23:14 AM
... search Cincinnati Fan or Cincinnati Blowers.

Using this forum's search tool box in the upper right corner, the only search result on this forum found was this thread. Maybe I messed up? However, in doing a Google search using cincinnati site:http://www.jpthien.com netted several interesting results which I had to stop reading (the trials of DennisCA in "Planned dust collection system") in order to finish this post.

retired2

Quote from: Kelly Bellis on June 03, 2020, 04:38:35 PM
Quote from: retired2 on May 30, 2020, 06:23:14 AM
... search Cincinnati Fan or Cincinnati Blowers.

Using this forum's search tool box in the upper right corner, the only search result on this forum found was this thread. Maybe I messed up? However, in doing a Google search using cincinnati site:http://www.jpthien.com netted several interesting results which I had to stop reading (the trials of DennisCA in "Planned dust collection system") in order to finish this post.

I spelled Cincinnati wrong in at least one post, maybe all of them.   So, if you had spelled it as poory as I did, "Search" would have found this comment:

"Here is a little gem from a Cincinnatti Fan engineering document:

Duct Inlet Spin
"A major cause of reduced fan performance is an inlet duct connection that produces a spin or pre-rotation of the air entering the fan inlet.  Inlet spin in the same direction of the fan wheel will reduce air volume and pressure ratings.  Inlet spin in the opposite direction of the fan rotation will substantially increase the motor horsepower requirements.  An ideal inlet condition is one which allows the air to enter the fan axially and evenly without spin in either direction."

Also, do a search on "pre-rotation", that will lead you to some interesting discussions on the subject.