News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Doming/rounding

Started by RBoggs, April 07, 2019, 02:48:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RBoggs

Seems to be a failure in the woodworking world on how to round the handle end of say, a natural Y slingshot fork. Tons of *dowel* methods (router/fence, "eyeballing" on a sander, etc.)..., but ask someone how to round the end uniformly..., and no answers! Maybe something like the old AMT ballers..., or a hollow rasp would be nice. Ideal would be something to chuck in a drill (say 3 sizes to cover up to 1.5" dia.). Anyway, it seems like asking a stupid question to ask for a simple tool to round the ends like a wooden broomhandle or toilet plunger!!!
Anyone hv ideas? Thnx!

bbain

There are machines that do it, you probably just don't want to pay for a specialized machine. https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/wooden-handle-dome-end-rounding-machine_60363444788.html?spm=a2700.7724857.normalList.78.71f4689dhtszN7

If I wanted to do it myself, I would make a jig for the router table that precisely located the handle so you could use a roundover bit.

CRTSR

I've done this over the years with both wood and metal by making a fixture that I could use against either of my sanding disc or belt Sander, both in fixed position.   You need a relatively simple jig that will pivot the dowel and also allow you to rotate it (A block of wood with a hole drilled in it).   Pivot the radius of the dowel from the sanding medium and turn the dowel as you rotate on that pivot. Of course if you want to do this 10,000 times you may want to buy one of the available machines.