My recently finished Baffle it's making a strange Noise (NEED HELP)

Started by Nico M, May 31, 2016, 06:34:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nico M

Hi Everyone, ¡I need help with my baffle!
I'm Nico from Argentina (sorry if my english it's not quite well).

First of all, thanks Phil for posting your Cyclone Lid proyect, I was looking for a home-made system for my shop and I don't remember how I had founded this proyect. It seemed well to me so I decided to build my own following the baffle model the closest I could.

So, I bought a home vac without bag Samsung 2000W (Half price) and get myself a barrel (it's seems to be MDF or something like that, with aluminium rings), then I went to the shop and get some PVC tubes including the elbow, and a threaded rod to make the spacers.
I've finished it a few days ago, and I find out that a terrible thing happened.... When everything it's connect and the Cyclone it's working (it works very well) it began to make an annoying and acute sound (like a metalic thing vibrating).

I've tried to cover the threaded rod with silicone, to cover the upper metalic ring with a cloth, and even to fill the "C" cut from the PVC elbow...  but nothing happens  :-\

So I've decided to contact Phil or some of you guys to find the solution to my problem.
Can anyone help me out? I don't understand much of this type of systems and I'm a bit confused..

I atach a video and some photos that I took yesterday.

https://youtu.be/vJWIUt7xdXY

Every help would be a relief,
THANK YOU!!!

Schreck

Nico, it sounds like the noise is being generated in the blue flexible hose.  Be sure to use a hose designed for vacuum, not one intended for water. 
Some hoses will set up a nasty resonance when the airflow reaches a certain velocity. 
This has come up before:http://www.jpthien.com/smf/index.php?topic=1191.msg6966#msg6966
Let us know what you find.
-Dan

retired2

First, let me say your English is just fine, and secondly thanks for providing enough information and photos so people can understand your problem and possibly help.

I'm not sure I have the solution to your "whistle", but I do see a problem that you may not have discovered yet.  It looks as though your inlet nozzle is resting against the separator floor (baffle).  That is probably going to result in waste jamming up behind the elbow and causing total blockages or reduced performance.  The elbow should be at least an 1" above the baffle so waste does not get trapped there.

Making this change could also improve or eliminate your high frequency whistle.  Try this little test.  Put something behind the inlet elbow that will stay in place just long enough to see if it eliminates the noise.  Stuff a sponge, cloth, or even a brick behind the elbow and then turn on the vac.  If it eliminates or significantly changes the noise, then you know that raising the inlet elbow is probably going to solve two problems for you - jams and noise!

Nico M

These are incredible news for me!!!
Thanks for your the time and attention!

Schrek: Great point! You're right.. the hose it's for swimming pools, I din't count with that at all and it's totally logical. I'll get another soon and try it. Reading that old thread gave me hope too! haha  Thank you so much!

Retired2: Your vision surprise me... That improvements  sound great to me, something was telling me that those spacers were too short, and here's you confirming it.. I'll do that change. First thing I'll do it's that simple test. Thanks for your accurate anticipation!!

I've got more than enought from you to continue working on my proyect.
THANK YOU BOTH!!!

Tacuabe

Nico:

Definitely your hose is probably the main culprit of the loud whine. I know because some time away I bought an even smaller hose to use my Thien baffle shop vac with a router and it sounded like a jet engine for take-off.

By the way, your English is quite right but if you like to contact me in Spanish you can do so. It happens we are almost neighbours as I live in Montevideo, Uruguay.

Best of luck

Nico M

Hey Tacuabe! Yes, you're right, it's the hose... I was trying to adapt it so I wouldn't have to buy another but it seems impossible =/.
So I'll buy another that works with air. It's sounds like a Jet!! that's the word!! jajaj

Thanks neighbour (: