tophat design goof confirmation

Started by bbain, January 17, 2016, 06:26:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbain

I started working on a tophat this weekend, using the collector ring of a dust collector as the body.  I was going to use a rubbermaid 77l (20gal) trash can, but realized the collector ring is about 1/2-3/4" larger in diameter than the bucket.  That isn't going to work for me is it?

retired2

Quote from: bbain on January 17, 2016, 06:26:53 PM
I started working on a tophat this weekend, using the collector ring of a dust collector as the body.  I was going to use a rubbermaid 77l (20gal) trash can, but realized the collector ring is about 1/2-3/4" larger in diameter than the bucket.  That isn't going to work for me is it?

I'm not sure if your question is serious or not, so you can wonder the same about my answer.  Yes, the collector ring can be made to work.  Just install vertical ribs on the inside of the collector and then attach a new wall inside the first.  Size the inner wall so it fits the bucket. Problem solved!

bbain

It was definitely a serious question.  It was a brain fart type situation where I knew something was wrong, but couldn't explain why it wouldn't work.

If I can't find a bucket/barrel with a larger diameter I guess I can always cut/weld the ring into a smaller diameter to suit the original planned bucket.

retired2

Quote from: bbain on January 18, 2016, 06:09:13 AM
It was definitely a serious question.  It was a brain fart type situation where I knew something was wrong, but couldn't explain why it wouldn't work.

If I can't find a bucket/barrel with a larger diameter I guess I can always cut/weld the ring into a smaller diameter to suit the original planned bucket.

A widely available, and sturdy, 30 gal. Brute is approximately 20-3/8" i.d.