News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Delta AP400

Started by Mainebarn, January 24, 2015, 05:44:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mainebarn

For my newly acquired Delta AP400, I want to install a Thein separator.  Since I don't have a lot of space, it would be very nice if the separator could sit directly on the cart and under the DC intake.  However, the space available there is not great--clearance from the bottom of the cart to the intake is only about 27 inches and the diameter would be about 16 inches.  With a top hat design and allowance for hose connections, that doesn't leave a lot of room for a container.  I'm guessing I might only be able to fit a 10 gallon bucket.  I've looked at a 10 gal plastic Brute can and a 10 gal metal Behrens can (both approx. 16" dia x 16" tall).  I know this isn't a lot of capacity, but which one is a better choice?  Is there a better alternative?

Next question—I see a lot of folks like to use polycarbonate for the sides of the cyclone.  Although it looks cool to see the dust swirl, I'd rather use a cheaper alternative.  I've seen some people use metal flashing.  What thickness of metal is acceptable?  Are there other good materials for the cyclone sides?

Thanks again for your help,

Brian

retired2

What kind of tools will this be used with?  If you hook it up to a thickness planer, you will be emptying your waste drum every few minutes of use!

Side walls have been made out of every imaginable material. Many people have commented that they don't see the need to go to the trouble or expense of plastic sidewalls just so they can see the dust swirling around, and it does nothing to improve performance.  Well, I recently described a self-made disaster where it became damn nice to be able to see at a quick glance what was going on inside my separator.  I would never build another one without see through walls.

Now if you still want to use metal, you can probably get away with very light material.  It is highly unlikely you could collapse even the lightest guage with a 600 cfm DC.  Now a shop vac is a different story - unlike DC's they can pull much higher SP numbers.

Mainebarn

I've spent so much time looking at different designs on this forum, the internet, and Youtube videos.  I change my ideas daily!  I have a wide assortment of tools.  I wasn't planning to run pipe to all the tools individually, but roll the DC to where I need it.  That's another reason why a separator on the cart would be convienent.  My model planer doesn't have a dust port available (although I've seen an idea to fabricate one).  I often roll my planer into the driveway for that work due to the volume.  However, I'm probably leaning towards a larger can again though.  I can't start anything till I buy the container I'm going to use.  Who knows what I'll end up with!   ::)

retired2

Quote from: Mainebarn on January 24, 2015, 08:28:20 PM
I've spent so much time looking at different designs on this forum, the internet, and Youtube videos.  I change my ideas daily!  I have a wide assortment of tools.  I wasn't planning to run pipe to all the tools individually, but roll the DC to where I need it.  That's another reason why a separator on the cart would be convienent.  My model planer doesn't have a dust port available (although I've seen an idea to fabricate one).  I often roll my planer into the driveway for that work due to the volume.  However, I'm probably leaning towards a larger can again though.  I can't start anything till I buy the container I'm going to use.  Who knows what I'll end up with!   ::)

I'm not sure how anyone can help you when your thinking is all over the map.  Pulling tools out in the driveway because they make too much dirt is a strategy that doesn't fit with buying a DC and building a separator. 

If you're willing to drag tools to the driveway, I would have advised against buying a 1HP DC.  They are marginal at best and need to be dragged to every tool they are intended to keep clean.  That can get really tedious in a hurry.  When I'm building one-off projects in my shop I bounce between machines so often that I know I would just say "to hell with it, let the dust and dirt go wherever it wants, I'll just vacuum up once when I'm done!"

Here is a link to a discussion on the Delta AP400.  What is being said in this discussion applies to every 600 cfm DC regardless who built it.  The discussion can be summarized by two thoughts: 1)Don't expect a lot from it and you won't be disappointed! 2)Save your money till you can afford at least a 1-1/2 hp 1200 cfm model.

http://lumberjocks.com/topics/4125

Mainebarn

Interesting review.  This was a cheap find on Craigslist.  I figured it was better than what I had (nothing).  But it's an introduction into dust collection--without it, I wouldn't have discovered this forum and the Thien separator!

retired2

Quote from: Mainebarn on January 24, 2015, 09:09:39 PM
Interesting review.  This was a cheap find on Craigslist.  I figured it was better than what I had (nothing).  But it's an introduction into dust collection--without it, I wouldn't have discovered this forum and the Thien separator!

I should add that my comments about the marginality of a 600 cfm DC are based on its performance with a separator installed.

jgt1942

I converted a Grizzly 2HP and currently find it acceptable for my shop. As long as you are connecting directly to one tool your unit "should" work but you are well below the suggested 1000 CFM min. Currently my conversion is a portable unit (see http://www.jpthien.com/smf/index.php?topic=1137.0) for an image (the yellow framed unit). Also I'm not really happy with the idea of the portable unit and will be installing fixed pipes (see http://www.jpthien.com/smf/index.php?topic=1168.0) in the future. At first I thought the portable unit would answer my DC issues, it does work OK it is just a pain to be moving it around in my crowded shop and connecting to the exhaust of a tool. I have a flex pipe on my input thus this does limit the need to move the unit but the flex pipe is a great tripper. I've managed to not trip but have come close thus for safety I want to go to fixed runs that are out of the way.