What is going on - apparently nothing!

Started by retired2, November 15, 2014, 08:00:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retired2

I have never seen such long stretches of silence.  Surely, folks have returned to their shops to make X-mas gifts for family and friends.  If nothing else you should be spending some time there to justify your own tool wish list!

And what are all of you folks doing that are looking at the the thread for my build?   Every few days the "view count" goes up by a hundred or more.  Surely, some of you are looking because you are actually building a separator!  Let's hear from you.

BernardNaish

I have also been wondering where all the air spinners have gone.

To read all the blog is a daunting task and I think it puts a lot of wood shredders off reading it. I think it would help if enquirers were to be pointed to your build to find out how to make a TH at the entry point.

I have not seen any relevant articles in the wood working magazines of late, although I certainly cannot hope to read them all.

retired2

Quote from: BernardNaish on November 16, 2014, 03:42:17 AM
I have also been wondering where all the air spinners have gone.

To read all the blog is a daunting task and I think it puts a lot of wood shredders off reading it. I think it would help if enquirers were to be pointed to your build to find out how to make a TH at the entry point.

I have not seen any relevant articles in the wood working magazines of late, although I certainly cannot hope to read them all.

I can't imagine reading all the threads in this forum.  In fact, just reading my thread from start to finish is a little daunting, but it was written over time as I was building and testing, so it is a bit drawn out.  In hindsight I should have waited till I was finished and then provided only the information essential for other builders - that would have made it easier to read.

BernardNaish

r2, I was not being critical of your posts. I think it would be great is your input could be somehow drawn together as an entity and "pinned" (If that is the right word) to the start of the blog. At the very least something pinned at the head of the blog so that newly interested readers could be directed to the start of your build. I also think that it should be locked to prevent it becoming even longer.

BTW it would be helpfull if an inexpensive method could be agreed to give a consistent set of measurements so that small design changes could be quantified by TH builders. UnfortunatlyI do not have enough knowledge of fluid dynamics to do this myself.

We had some great input with a contributor making a mathematical model of a TH. I feel I shot this down somewhat by insisting it should at least be able to replicate your real word results. Could this be one reason that posts have dried up or is it that we have given the impression that nothing is sufficiently resolved to ensure that a build is worth doing?

retired2

Quote from: BernardNaish on November 16, 2014, 11:24:30 AM
r2, I was not being critical of your posts. I think it would be great is your input could be somehow drawn together as an entity and "pinned" (If that is the right word) to the start of the blog. At the very least something pinned at the head of the blog so that newly interested readers could be directed to the start of your build. I also think that it should be locked to prevent it becoming even longer.

BTW it would be helpfull if an inexpensive method could be agreed to give a consistent set of measurements so that small design changes could be quantified by TH builders. UnfortunatlyI do not have enough knowledge of fluid dynamics to do this myself.

We had some great input with a contributor making a mathematical model of a TH. I feel I shot this down somewhat by insisting it should at least be able to replicate your real word results. Could this be one reason that posts have dried up or is it that we have given the impression that nothing is sufficiently resolved to ensure that a build is worth doing?

Bernard,

I did not take your comments to be a criticism at all.  I know you have frequently urged others to read my thread thoroughly.  If I had the time (and energy) I would totally rewrite it with only what is important and include more photos of the step by step construction.  Then I would ask Phil to pin it.

I'm afraid I also contributed to the loss of the member who started to model the separator dynamics.  I felt the same as you, i.e. if we could not create a model the somewhat matched the real world of a standard build, then it would be hard to accept the results of dramatic modifications.

alan m

the problem I see is that there is only a small  core area  that is tailored for.
once someone has built a separator they tend to go back to their normal lives.
commercial cyclones are even getting cheaper. some people would rather just buy something and get back to work.
its only the die hard group that want to build it themselves. when you do build it you want it to be the best so research a lot

we need to keep members here and  talk about other aspects of dust collection.
iv suggested this in the past but  it didn't catch on.

alan m

that's what I mean.
I think we should have a section or sections dedicated  to dc modification of tools and general dc pipework ect
I woiuld love to see this place be a central hub for all things dc

dabullseye

264 views and only 7 reply's, way to many lurkers

alan m

tvman44

so would I, right now I have nothing to contribute but I still check this forum a couple of times a day looking for ideas. :)

dabullseye

nope this will be a winter project. im gonna bolt 2 old craftsmans together along with router table and mount it on a rolling cart with lots of drawers for storage. this way i can have a dado and a regular blade or have one angled etc i  hate changing blades or setting up bevels.if i could figure out how to get my sketchup on here i would love to just to get feed back and more ideas. so im in the gathering up parts stage. might have to raise saw up 1 1/2 to get knuckle clearance for blade tilt knob.

dabullseye

ok took pic with phone. im gonna relocate the 6" castors up inside the torsion base which will lower saw but then i can make deeper drawers and raise the saw back up, add floor locks to each corner I would like to connect with linkage so i only need to operate one lock,and im gonna pipe the table saw pans together with a y gate and pipe to side of platform so i don't have to crawl under the folding out feed table anymore.

dabullseye

alan m

that should work.
im not sure I would go with a torsion box. I would rather a steel frame.it would be stronger

dabullseye

thought about steel cuz i do have an arc welder and torch collecting dust but i only have to move 6' to rip ply and steel tube would cut into my beer budget ;D