Blower direction related to Top Hat intake

Started by hweaver2, May 30, 2014, 08:49:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hweaver2

Not sure the topic is stated correctly, but the question is if you have a blower and moter where the fan is rotating clockwise with the outlet on the right side as pictured and you are building a top hat, would it make a difference as to which side the intake is on? Right side or left side of the top hat if you were looking down at the top hat from the top side? I believe I have seen where this makes a difference in a cyclone (intake on right or left), but what about building a top hat? Also does the drop slot need to be on the on the side opposite of the intake?

Sorry for the amateurish drawings, best I could do ;D

retired2

It has been discussed ad nauseum!  Search my posts and you will find many of the discussions. 

tomservo

The short version is: it doesn't matter because you should be putting a deswirl device on the blower intake.

retired2

Quote from: tomservo on May 31, 2014, 06:40:58 PM
The short version is: it doesn't matter because you should be putting a deswirl device on the blower intake.

And the long version is without an air straightener, either direction is bad!

hweaver2

Thanks retired2, finally found your old post on CW vs. CCW. Very enlightening. I now understand the issue a lot better, my plan is to utilize the blower on top of a top hat or possibly mini cyclone. The air straightener makes a lot of sense, not quite sure how I'm going to go about making the radial fins inside yet, but I'll ponder it and come up with something. The quote you used from Cincinnati Fan regarding the rotation issues is really pertinent in my case as I'm planning on using a nice Cincinnati Dust Master blower I scavenged from one of their 2 stage drum tops as my motor/blower assy. I plan on building a framework stand, much like the one you did. Very nicely done by the way!!!!