News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Introduce yourself...

Started by phil (admin), October 16, 2013, 11:57:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cwood3

Well, I have HF parts on the garage floor. I've become obsessed via reading posts on what the perfect mod(s) are ( I realize everybody's needs are different). Mechanical engineer by trade (but I don't fit the anal mode). I am a hobbyist stringed instrument builder. Yes, I have a drum sander (finally got it 2 weeks ago 10-20), so, I am now forced to pay attention to dust collection. Two-car garage shop with a "clean room work area" in a spare bedroom.

North Houston, TX

rondako

Amateur hobbiest who has dabbled in furniture refinishing and minor repair for over 20 years.  Finally getting more of a formal shop set up in my basement and in need of dust collection in a major way.  Delighted to find this site and will be here often educating myself.  Would like to upgrade the HF dust collector that is being shipped to me, and hope I don't have too many noob questions!   

robughblah

Yo,
Setting up a mini-cnc in my basement. I anticipae that fine air-borne dust is not compatible with my open-flame propane furnace which is in the same room so i am setting up a 5 gallon dust collector.

Rob

denj

I'm new here. Small hobby projects like boxes, chests & trying clocks now. I need to upgrade my DC to more than the small cyclone & shop vac I have now. I'm sure a Thein baffle works but can't seem to find the location of the slot in relation to the inlet. Also the depth of the exhaust drop in the lid. Are there dimensinons and angular relationships somewhere in this post that I'm missing? On the pictures it looks like the slot ends about under the centerline of the vertical of the inlet elbow. The only real numbers I found were the 240 deg. for the 1.125" slot. I'd like to try 4" duct so I'm also wondering if there is some science to scaling up your 2.5"?

Thanks!

Den

EmJayGee

Hey, everyone, I'm Mike Grier. I've worked out of my garage for decades but after a car accident in 2015, I'm disabled with more or less constant pain.

Last fall we got a shed for my tools and I got a Delta contractor saw off CL. So now my need for dust collection has accelerated. I think building a DIY Thien baffle separator seems like the logical next step.

TwoBirds

Hi All

Many thanks Phil for making the plans for this device available.

I'm just a hobbyist, I've built a couple small boats and a few boxes etc. I use hand tools as much as possible due to an aversion to loud noise so I've been fine with just wearing a  respirator up till now, but I just got a bandsaw and they really need dust removal to work properly.

First I looked at buying a system, I looked at prices and winced, I looked a decibel levels and and winced even more, I looked at how much precious shop space one would waste and stopped looking :)

So now I'm looking at building one into a workbench I can move around as needed using a blower from an electric furnace and the Thein separator.

Since I like to have everything I build do at least two things (Hence my choice of forum handle) I'm also looking at designing in air filtration for the shop using furnace filters, I'm hoping that by eliminating as much ducting as possible I can get by with a bit less airflow, I'll post it here if it works out.

2b

Brian Meyer

I'm brian and I am a painter ( watercolorist @artbybrianmeyer ) who really got into wood working to make picture frames. I've been learning how to make jigs and boxes, but also easels and the like.

I am looking at getting dust collection built into a table I am designing for my new delta 36-725 model table saw. My cheap ( the $100 ones at home depot ) old saw just burned out, so am having to redo the entire table, jigs and the rest I built for it. I have to push all my stuff out into the drive way to use it.

My goal is to have a table with everything self contained, router, saw, dust collection. The cyclones were my first idea, but they seem like they are rather tall, and so I am looking at the thien style baffle on a short box. I found those mentioning that phils design is effective, so am researching it.

Mikoturos

Well, I grew up in a relatively poor family and learned DIY repairs from an early age. I actually failed woodshop in Jr. High because I had no use for a jewelry box and everyone thought I was being a smart@$$ when I was asking questions that were beyond the basic level of the class.  As I've grown, my DIY projects have grown with me and as my mind started getting creative, I've discovered a new appreciation for those woodshop skills I considered "too basic" and started teaching myself to make useful things with power tools and neat hardware that the schools could never have provided.  The need to deal with dust and grit and shavings has increased with the complexity of my projects and when I started looking into it I learned about the health issues and the Thien units.  I've also seen some stuff around the web about making DC's from old clothes dryer fans so I'm eventually going to try and hybrid together both ideas and see how well it works.

michaelmew

Hi,

I'm brand new to DC and the Thien Baffle. I'm looking forward to learning more and improving my working conditions. Cheers!

-mm

semifunkydrummer

Greetings. I've been doing occasional woodworking for a long time and have most of the basic power tools. I suspect that I still belong in the "beginner" category, however. Had more than one bout with bronchitis after using a router, so now that I am retired and have more time for woodworking, I've become serious about dust collection and especially wearing a respirator. Got the Harbor Freight DC and trying to decide how I want to build a Thein baffle.

MichaelCfffg

Hi all!  I just registered, and am posting this so that I don't evaporate away from the site in a couple of weeks.  I'm retired, and now finally have time to really turn on my love for woodworking, and am just starting to put together a woodworking shop in our stand-alone 30 x 40 ft. garage building.  I recently picked up a single bag, Delta dust collection system in virtually brand-new condition at an estate auction, and I found this site while looking for plans to make my own cyclone separator.  I'm looking forward to learning and helping where I can.

Nerdorama

Just registered after reading through enough of the forum to decide that I need to add a baffle to my Jet DC. Just restarting my woodworking after retiring a year ago and moving to a new town. Trying to get the new shop insulated and cleaned up so I can begin.
John

prstone

My name is Paul Stone. I have been aware of the Thien Baffle for two or three years and have recently decided to get serious about woodworking.
I retired from the Boeing company in March (research engineer) after nearly 29 years with the company.
My Father graduated from mortality to immortality just before I retired. He was only 6 days away from his 97th birthday. My wife and I moved in with my 94 year old mother and bought her house.

I am building my dream shop; a one bedroom apartment over a 3 car garage. Her sewing area will be upstairs.

I saw the dustopper at HD and knew that somebody ripped off Mr. Thien?s intellectual property.

I have more than 50 inventions, 12 granted patents and a dozen patents pending. I also know some good patent attorneys.

I would love to help.

ephriam

Hi, I built your baffle into my Delta 50-850 dust collector last year and it's just terrific. Air flow doesn't degrade so I don't need to blow out the filter very often. I recently changed the collection bag and when I checked the baffle I was surprised to find the top was absolutely clean! A friend is interested in doing it too but I don't remember the site that had the build info. Would appreciate help. Thanks. ephriam

tootmag

Hello everyone. I just retired and built a garage/workshop next to our house. I have the Delta 36-725 table saw and a miter saw and really need to do something about the dust!
I have a Delta shop vac and would like to make a Thien baffle dust collector. Is there a site that gives the particulars?