News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Introduce yourself...

Started by phil (admin), October 16, 2013, 11:57:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OccamsBeard

Hello! I'm tired of my shopvac's inability to control the dust in my basement shop, so I'm about to start putting together a fully DIY dust collection system. I'm excited to experiment with the Thien Baffle!

handyrandy

Thanks Phil, for a great baffle and forum!
I have been lurking for a while and thought I would finally join.
Amateur woodbutcher since the 7th grade, which was quite a while ago.  :)

I was tired of my older Rigid shop vac getting clogged so fast, so I was looking for something to help. Stumbled across the Thien Baffle in various places, landed here for ideas and finished my version yesterday. Will post to the shop vac discussion once approved.

Next up is a Top Hat based on retired2's version for my old Delta small dust collector.

Nico M

Hi Phil, I'm Nico from Argentina (sorry if my english it's not quite well). And I'm starting to work with wood on my own.

First of all, thank you for posting your Cyclone Lid proyect, I was looking for a home-made system for my shop and I don't remember how I had founded your proyect. It seemed well to me so I decided to build my own following your model the closest I could.

So, I bought a home vac without bag Samsung 2000W (Half price) and get myself a barrel (it's seems to be MDF or something like that, with aluminium rings), then I went to the shop and get some PVC tubes including the elbow, and a threaded rod to make the spacers.
I've finished it a few days ago, and I find out that a terrible thing happened.... When everything it's connect and the Cyclone it's working (it works very well) it began to make an annoying and acute sound (like a metalic thing vibrating).

I've tried to cover the threaded rod with silicone, to cover the upper metalic ring with a cloth, and even to fill the "C" cut from the PVC elbow...  but nothing happens  :-\

So I've decided to write to you, thinking that you might have the ideal solution to my problem here.. Can you help me out? I don't understand much of this type of systems and I'm a bit confused..

I atach a video and some photos that I took today.

youtube:  /vJWIUt7xdXY

( I've tried to post this on a topic or send you a private message but that options seems to be blocked to me, sorry if this it's not the place for this kind of things.)

Every help would be a relief,
THANK YOU!!!

Dan In CoMo

Attempted a "search" regarding mods to HF's 2hp collector and found I had to register. I'm here to improve my (initial) Thien baffle build, utilizing said collector in a 2-stage system.

On first test it collected (by eyeball) 50% of the dust/chips in the 55 gal barrel and 50% on the baffle. During the test the inlet was fed by a 2.25" hose, outlet to the impeller is 6" HVAC duct, inserted to just above the HF's cone (about 4" into the 10" tall cylinder). I'm trying to decide if the problem is lack of air flow (due to a too-small feed hose), height of the outlet above the baffle, or some other issue.

Toni C.

Hi there.
I am a hobbyist ww from Spain and I am planning to make one of your baffle separators. I don't know if this question has been asked before but what would happen if the baffle was made conical in an inverted funnel shape, would it perform better or worse? I am a complete ignorant about dust collection so please bear with me. I just think that it would help the dust not to stay in the baffle and fall down if any stays at all. My assumption is that being conical upwards it wouldwould be more difficult for the dust to climb up spiraling to the center outlet.

I insist, this is a complete newbbie question, so don't get mad at me. 

phil (admin)

Quote from: Toni C. on June 15, 2016, 06:06:20 AM
Hi there.
I am a hobbyist ww from Spain and I am planning to make one of your baffle separators. I don't know if this question has been asked before but what would happen if the baffle was made conical in an inverted funnel shape, would it perform better or worse? I am a complete ignorant about dust collection so please bear with me. I just think that it would help the dust not to stay in the baffle and fall down if any stays at all. My assumption is that being conical upwards it wouldwould be more difficult for the dust to climb up spiraling to the center outlet.

I insist, this is a complete newbbie question, so don't get mad at me.

No dust stays on top of the baffle, there is no need to make a funnel, and the funnel can work against you as the debris builds below.

KipKirol

Hello there,

My name is Kip and I came to this forum to plan Thien separators for 10", 7", and 6" ducting.

AJPeacock

Been lurking for a couple months, finally need some help to figure out my DC situation.

I currently use my router/saw on the driveway and do lighter stuff in my basement.

My only DC is a 6hp Rigid shop vac that I set up on whichever tool I'm using.

I'd like to upgrade my vacuum and use the corner of my basement for more of a 'shop' (probably 12'x12') for some smaller woodworking stuff.  I'd still be able to use the driveway/garage for serious sawdust creation (thickness planer, serious routing ...), but would really like to work in the basement.

I can exhaust to the outside from that side of the shop and don't mind moving the DC from tool to tool.

If you were starting from scratch, how would you proceed?  I'd really like to 'overkill' the CFM, use a cyclone + filter and exhaust outside when the weather is nice.

Tools:  Router table, track saw, drill press, sanding station, jigsaw, hand tools ...

Ideas?  I thought about going directly with the Grizzly G0777HEP and only using the HEP when it was too cold/hot outside to exhaust through the casement window.

Or, if I knew what DC to start with (Harbor freight, Delta, Grizzly ...) I could build a kick butt Thien separator and then exhaust to the outside with whatever sneaks through?

Thanks,
AJ

ccgds

Hi, Thanks for all the info, research, trial n error that went into your projects and plans and then sharing with rest of us struggling to sustain our in home hobbies and still keep an amicable relationship with our families.

Think 'Dust Collecting' is sad past time when I consider all the time, money I've invested researching/devising ways to keep my small basement shop cleaner without cluttering it up even more with tall cyclones and a jungle gym of piping, not to mention putting up with the roaring jet engine and reverberating sound chamber concerto whenever there is constructive activity in the shop. Am obsessed with objective, but wish evolution would get closer to a reasonable conclusion.

Have built, but never installed an early adaptation of a 4" inlet cyclone from an old article in Wood Mag, only to abandon it after visiting  B Pentz' website. Quickly fell into a downward spiral of depression, settling in the dust bin about what is best system and method to manage dust in my small shop. Was convinced I would surely die at an early age of some respiratory ailment if I didn't construct the whole shabang with 6" ducting. Ruefully admit that was several years ago and I have since constructed components for, but not assembled,  a better designed cyclone with spiral ramp, built a 3hp blower/housing with custom impeller, purchased expensive drum filter and still not committed to completing project and installing 'ductwork' that would make plumbing and other utility access a royal pain. Have learned much in the process, but still aching for reasonable solution.

Started viewing 'youtube' videos on DC and came across the 'Thien separator'. After months of viewing/rethinking ideas and my situation, have come to conclusion, two small, short run, 1hp DC systems with your separator design will 'hopefully' better suit my needs. Thought I heard a faint sigh of relief coming from my poor shop vac (recently upgraded with mini-cyclone and drum) when I had a verbal "Aha!!!!" moment about upgrading to a compact, blower mounted separator to service my old Unisaw and bandsaw. If successful, I will adapt the same design to servicing my chop saw, and belt sander, with 4" wye, blast gates and flex hose - much better than swapping shop vac hose from port to port and crawling around in missed dust to access them. Would also eliminate the need for oversized Habitrail suspended from my busy ceiling which is also encumbered by a recirculating box filter.

If project is successful, will post some pics, hopefully to help others consider 'is bigger always better?' before heading down the same path.

Thanks again for sharing your trials and successes. Would like to make donation to your website.

BigAl205

Hi, my name is Alan. I've recently built a 34x34' garage and I'm looking to equip it with a decent dust collection system, which is why I'm here. I primarily work on car audio systems (I run a few car audio forums), but I'd like to get into woodwork also.  8)

TrondS-N

I am a boating person, but I am mostly into wooden boats, and they need woodworking.
Woodworking resulst is dust, so here I am. :-)
BTW, I live in nothern Norway. It was a bit difficult to find the answer to some of the questions when registring since we don't speak the same language and your pocket hole jig is totally unknown here.

-- Trond

tharris

How's it going fellas?  I am a hobby woodworker that migrated over from the welding trade.  I have recently moved from my two car garage over to my new shop and am interested in improving my HF dust collector with a top hat and am looking for ideas.  Anyway, I've lurked here for a while and have decided to sign up to hopefully get some specific help to some of the questions I have.  This is a great site!

TJ

benji791

Hello,

I'm a french hobby woodworker. I have interest in improving my workshop air conditions and that's why I just registered.

mike52732

Hi.  I have been a woodworker for along time and have built at least 7 Thien top hats. Three for myself and the rest for friends.  They are the best?

Mike

mattinker

Hi,
I'm Matthew, I live and work in France. I have a large home workshop that I am always trying to keep dust levels down! I intend to make a Thien conversion to a to a large 4" bore extractor unit that I have. I am also going to experiment with a large paint tin model.

Regards, Matthew.