Update and question/Phil or anyone

Started by RCOX, December 13, 2011, 12:31:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RCOX

Surgery went well. Getting flexability and grip back already. Stitches out next week.

I have caulked all seams in my tophat, except for the outlet tube. Will be caulking the seams on my collection can today. Thanks Phil, never thought about the possibility of the can leaking.

Now for my question: is it beneficial/detrimental to have the outlet pipe larger than the inlet? Kind of like a cyclone. 6" inlet, 8" outlet. My dc has an 8" inlet so was wondering if it would help to utilize it to it's full potential. I do not remember this being discussed in the past, maybe it was and I overlooked it.

I have devised a plan about a stand for the tophat to set on and the collection can to attach under and make it a lot easier to remove for dumping. Hopefully I can get started on this design/build next week. Will keep y'all posted.

Looking forward to responses about the inlet/outlet idea before I start back together with my system.

Thank you

Raymond

davidrn

Actually I had the same situation. I bought a 3HP Reliant and the prior owner had a 7" inlet custom made for the DC. I ran 7" pipe 12' from the DC to my second floor tophat, and then 6" piping from there to the tools. I assume that because there is a suggestion of a certain amount of loss with the tophat, that I could be making up for part of the loss within the tophat. But, even if that isn't the case, I wasn't going to change what was already done. It works well, and I actually am thinking about a second design to make emptying under the barrel even easier than it is now.  You can check out pictures/ video on my prior posting of the way I set it up.

RCOX

Sweet shop. Had looked at your post earlier. We discussed putting a window in your collection can to see when it is full. I think putting a blast gate with a length of flex hose would make it easier to empty. My dc is similiar in design to yours. It is a Powermatic with canister filters. It came with plastic catch bags. A royal pain it the rear to remove without making a major mess. I bought 2 strap band clamps, put a window in 2 metal trash cans, put in 2 new plastic bags, seated them well, cut off about 2/3rds of the bottom, slipped those cutoff bags over my trash cans and clamped them down. Made emptying the dust a whole lot easier and cleaner. Works very well and collection is superb. Only problem, when using my drum sander the canisters clog up rather quickly. That is what I am trying to eliminate with a separator. The flappers are easy to use and help keep the filters from clogging IF you remember to use them during your project. I once had them clog so bad that the flappers made no sound for about 3 revolutions before they started to knock off the caked on dust. NO suction was my first clue they were clogged. 

Let us know what your next change will be. I should be back in the shop next week and will post my NEW tophat stand design when completed. Will also post new results.

Am seriously thinking of going to the 8"  connection between the dc and separator, unless someone tells me why it would be a bad idea.

Looking forward to any input.

Raymond

phil (admin)

No problem at all with an outlet that is a step-up in size from the inlet.

RCOX

Thank you Phil. I do think I will give it a try.

Can anyone remember if it has been tried? I have gone through these posts a couple of times in the past but do not remember seeing this setup posted. I am sure I did not completely read each and every one so maybe missed it.

As soon as I can get the parts and my hand lets me, I will be the first (or maybe not) to give it a try. Will post results in the near future.

Phil: that trash can had a small leak in each side seam. I caulked both side seams and the bottom seam as well. Thanks for the heads up.

Raymond