Thank you for a great design, and a few ideas for consideration

Started by OLDCHIP, January 11, 2013, 07:10:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OLDCHIP

Hello Phil, et al;

Many thanks for maintaining the history of this tool.  Such a very clean and simple design that works quite well, it is ...a thing of beauty...!

I would not feel right not building something using your collective efforts without offering a few thoughts for consideration.
   a.  Two handles on the lid make it easier to remove the baffle assembly and that makes emptying the particle collector less a chore. 
   b.  A few in the forum have talked about not knowing how deep the chips are in the barrel.  Why not bore a ¾ inch hole in the lid directly over the far end of drop slot (relative to particle inlet).  Then, you could insert a tape measure, or a dowel to estimate how full your collector is.  Plug the hole with either a cork from your favorite cab or a tapered rubber plug from the hardware store.
   c.  Because we always keep at least one fire extinguisher in the shop (right?), the hole in the lid to measure depth of material can double as a place to insert a fire extinguisher nozzle if you thought there was a fire smoldering inside.  Then, quick disconnect the hoses, and roll it out the door – fast!

Thanks again for a great site, and such a wealth of knowledge collected in one spot!
Paul

alan m

welcome old chip.
some good ideas there

1 . i am planning on putting a bicicle lift on mine.
i should be able pull the cordd and lift the top hat

2 .  i have been thinking about this.
i have several barrels for my seperater (havent needed them yet) but i want a system that is seperate from the barrel.
im not sure how to do it to my uint
i am thinking about a waste fitting and glue in inspection end
then i could open it and measure

it is always good to have a plan in case something like that happens. althow its unlikely but not impsable