Will it work with a small Ridgid?

Started by nameless29, September 27, 2012, 02:15:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nameless29

Hi all,
Complete newbie here wanting to see if someone could answer these questions.

I was thinking of buying a Ridgid shop vac model WD1450 but when I saw it at the Home Depot I realized how big it is. It's a 6HP unit with a 14 gallon capacity. Then I saw the Ridgid model WD4070 that has 5HP but only 4 gallons in capacity (this is $20 less and a much more manageable size for my small garage). Now, I may be wrong but to me it seems that the important number is the vacuum's HP and not the capacity as we are all trying to get all the dust and chips into the new waste can and not the actual vacuum. Am I wrong?

The other difference between these two units is the hose diameter. The more professional of the two (the WD1450) has a hose diameter of 2-1/2" while the smaller WD4070 has a 1-7/8" diameter. Will this play a roll in the dust collecting capabilities? Can I find the right elbows and fittings for this smaller diameter hose?

I plan on using a large Brute waste can for it.

Thanks!

phil (admin)

It will work with a smaller shop vac, but it would help if you could find one that will take the standard 2-1/4" shop vac hose.  The fittings will work better, the air will flow better, etc.

nameless29

Quote from: phil (admin) on September 27, 2012, 07:19:02 AM
It will work with a smaller shop vac, but it would help if you could find one that will take the standard 2-1/4" shop vac hose.  The fittings will work better, the air will flow better, etc.

You mean 2-1/2" hose? Ridgid doesn't seem to make 2-1/4" hoses, it's either 2-1/2" or 1-7/8". Any recommendations for a shop vac for this project that's at or under $100?

phil (admin)

Right.  I've heard them referred to as both, but basically the larger hose.

There ARE shop vacs that are under $100 (and smaller) that will work with the larger hoses.  I'd check the Ridgid and Shop Vac sites.