News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Will this work?

Started by Kzoorichie, May 08, 2011, 10:20:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kzoorichie

Hi All,

I want to thank everyone and especially Phil for this great site.  I plan on starting my baffle soon.  One question I have is about the ports?  Will the dust right components available from Rockler http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=25225 for those us us too lazy or stupid to use another way?

I plan to use a Rubbermaid Brute garbage can and this. For the blower I already own this http://www.pennstateind.com/store/DC3XX.html 1.5 hp unit.

Right now it's a balloon style bag, but I'd be keen to upgrade to something better.  Is there an easy practical way to incorporate the Wynn filter into my idea?

I'm still thinking about things so I'm all ears if you have ideas or advice. Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions you may offer.

phil (admin)

I want to thank everyone and especially Phil for this great site.  I plan on starting my baffle soon.  One question I have is about the ports?  Will the dust right components available from Rockler http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=25225 for those us us too lazy or stupid to use another way?

You can use those.  But for the outlet (centered) elbow, I'd cut the actual elbow portion off so it is just straight.

I plan to use a Rubbermaid Brute garbage can and this. For the blower I already own this http://www.pennstateind.com/store/DC3XX.html 1.5 hp unit.

Right now it's a balloon style bag, but I'd be keen to upgrade to something better.  Is there an easy practical way to incorporate the Wynn filter into my idea?

I'd get a Wynn filter that is open both ends and make a donot for the "top."  The donut should have a flange to attach the outlet of the blower.  The bottom of the filter should have a bag strapped on.  You will need to figure out a way to attach the donut to the filter, but a trip down the hardware isle of a decent hardware store should provide some ideas.

I might be inclined to figure out a wall-mount method that would allow me to provide both the donut and a way to attach the entire thing to the wall.

I'm still thinking about things so I'm all ears if you have ideas or advice. Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions you may offer.

Just keep noodling it and thinking aloud and I/others here will try to help.

WayTooLate

I think you are on the right track with your ideas - keep going and you will come up with a clean, simple design that will work extremely well. 

I would double check one thing about your blower motor...
Sometimes, economy motors save costs by using bearings that are only designed to work in one axis (horizontal, shaft up or shaft down).  With smaller horsepower motors, most can operate 'universally'.  In larger motors, the cost of the bearings and unique motor designs become more specific in their orientation.  Since your blower is a 'stand-alone', special purpose design, it may be worth checking out.  If you have the data sheet on the motor, it may list the numbers used on the shaft and end bearings.  A quick call to a motor repair shop can confirm if the bearings can run 'shaft down'... 

As far as the RubberMaid trash can goes, I have had great success using the 'Brutes'.  My first design used the can's snap lid for the top.  I cut though it for the ports and glued PVC fittings together on top & bottom (I got 4" 'street elbows' with male/female ends).  I glued them together, sandwiching the lid to dog-leg them as the inlet port.  Two 5" couplings sandwiched the outlet port.   (This offsets the suction loss presented by the baffle.)  I had the baffle seal onto the 'step-ledge' below the handles. 

This works well - with two drawbacks:  1) To dump the can you have to raise the baffle up about 6" to clear the can.  This means you have to maintain enough hose on both ports to raise it that high.  2) Getting great separation on a 32 gallon can means moving a LOT of air.  I have to pull almost 1000 cfm through it for it to work to its optimum  It works 'OK' with 650+cfm.  Since I have it connected to a 4000cfm Dustek unit, that isn't a big problem as long as I don't have too many other tools running - but often we do...

My recommendation is to make a smaller 'Top-Hat' that mounts to the RubberMaid lid.  The plastic lid gives you a durable, flexible seal and you can build a smaller diameter that will work much more effectively.  Dumping the can only requires 1.5" of clearance to remove. 

I think the idea of mounting the blower to the wall is a great one.  You can limit the amount of flex between the top hat and blower to give you just the clearance you need to remove the can.  Some cable or even 'bungees' provides the support to hold up the top-hat while you wheel can outside to dump.  Adapting the Wynn filter will capture the fines to keep you shop clean and safe to breathe in. 

Let us know how it turns out!