Please measure the I.D. of your DC ring

Started by phil (admin), April 06, 2011, 10:00:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phil (admin)

Many people have asked me to offer a pre-made, easy-to-install baffle for their dust collector.

The question is how much the inner diameter of the DC rings varies.

If you have some time, please remove the lower bag from your DC, and measure the I.D. (Inner Diameter) of the ring at the bottom.  Please take 2-3 measurements and average them in case your ring is slightly out of round.

If you post the model of your unit, and the measurement, I'll see if I can just have a bunch of them laser-cut for cheap.

Bulldog8

Phil, I found that mine is fairly out of round, but here are the measurements.

Its a Griz 1029 manufactured in 2004.

There is an indentation where the lower bag clamp rides the ID at that point averages to 18 3/4"

If I was going to install a baffle in the DC, I would want to place it higher than the band clamp area. I would move it up to just below the inlet.

The ID at that point is 18 7/8"

Here is a suggestion for those that are measuring the ID of their DC's.

I used a couple of story sticks and a spring clamp to get the dimension and then measured the sticks with a tape measure.

Steve

phil (admin)

Thanks for the info and suggestion, Steve.  So the Grizzly ring is coming in right about the same as the HF rings.

coloradotrout

Jet 1100C

This is the one with the cartridge and plastic bottom bag held in-place with "band" that fits inside the collector and presses the bag against the metal ring housing (sorry for bad description).

I made a baffle 19.75" and the inner 18.5" (1.25" gap).   19.75" fit well once the 1.25" gap was cut-out.  There is a "ripple" just below the inlet with a gap of about 2" where the "band" fits.  The band is about 1" wide.   I fit the baffle right on the "ripple", so it's about 2" above the bottom of the collector metal ring and probably 1/2" below the inlet.   My only concern is the ripple, band, and bag subtract from the 1.25" gap -- so my effective gap is between 1" and 1-1/8".

Ted Miller

Phil, My DC model is pretty old from Wilke, 2 hp:

19 1/8" for the inner lower dia.

9 1/4" for the dia of the cone...