News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Container for cyclone

Started by jussi, May 10, 2011, 07:59:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jussi

I've seen some people use the chemical type containers that store pool supplies because they have a much better seal than a regular old metal trash can.  Is there a big advantage to this?  Is there that much more dust escaping when using the trash can?  I don't have a pool so I don't really have access to those containers.  Are there alternatives that are more readily available.

Bulldog8

I couldn't find a freebie when I built my baffle, so I bought a barrel from US Plastic.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/default.aspx?catid=459&parentcatid=458&clickid=topnavmenu

rieferman

I called around to plastic molding companies locally until someone answered my call - they get their plastic pellets in 35 gallon fiber (tough cardboard basically) drums with nicely fitted lids.  He gave me three of them for free.

Also, I have a 55 gallon plastic drum that I'll use as a rain barrel (but it could have easily been my dust collection bin) that was used to store juice concentrate.  Got that for $5 on craigs list.  Some simple green later, and it's good as new.

jussi

For some reason I never considered craigslist.  Which is odd since that's where I get half my tools :D  I just looked and there are a couple which look promising.  Thanks for the tips.

mveach

I used a grease drum that I got from a quick lube place. I made the lid and I have to pry it off. I checked the shop vac that I have attached to it the other day and the only thing in it was a fine dust about like talcum power on the filter.

SPElectronics

Another option that people might consider would be to find some large concrete form tubes or similar, and just cut a plywood bottom to seal it off, and then build the removable top/baffle. That way you can make any size you want, and those tubes are usually pretty cheap.

tool_fool

Thought I' be duck tapin' my Behlens (Made in USA) 20 g can, but have not sensed any obvious leakage.  It's precision guesswork followed by trial and error.  Just lucky?  I kept reducing the size of the rabbit bearing to incrementally increase the rabbit and decrease the small diamater on the lid until it fit snugly.  Very happy with the result.

I spent two years on and off puzzling how to make it work and less than a day doing it.  Jump in.  This thing works!

bill70j

I have had good luck with the 30 gallon metal trash can also.  The concern is air leakage into the system rather than dust escaping.  For a lid, I used 3/4" plywood with a diameter about 3" larger than the can opening.  To secure the lid to the can, I cut a groove into the lid about 3/8" deep with an inside diameter just slightly larger than the ID of the can.  This gives a tight friction fit.  To cut the groove I used a 3/8" rabbeting bit and a router circle cutting jig.

To test for leaks, I turned on the system and smoke-tested the can seams and the lid-to-can fit.  No leaks at the seams, but I found a fair amount of leakage between the can and the lid -  right at the two lap joints on the rim where the can is press-fit together.  I mixed up a little bit of Bondo and smoothed over the two lap joints, which solved the problem.

galerdude

I picked up a plastic barrel from a local recycler http://www.earthworksrecycling.com/prices/index.html#selling . For me it was easier and cheaper than chasing all over town and they are less than a mile away from me. Just an idea, might wanna check it out in your area. I put a top hat configuration on a 30 gallon 18" diameter and it works deluxe.

Rick T

From what I've read here and elsewhere, I understand the preferred configuration for my Delta 50-760 is side entry port. I'm not thinking about the top-hat style. I have to source a container and may have a choice of material. .. fiber, plastic or steel. Since the side port takes a bit of sculpting to get a good fit, does that make the fiber drum a poor choice? I've never worked with these drums. Is it fairly difficult to make smooth cuts in the side wall of these containers? Can you sand or file it for a close fit to the pipe?
TIA ....  Rick.