Shop vac filter that will trap fine dust

Started by schreibdave, October 30, 2009, 10:18:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

schreibdave

I just found this forum and think it's great. 

I like the idea of using Phils design with my Ridgid shop vac.  Seems that it works great for chips and larger dust particles, but I am wondering about the fine dust.  What's the best filter you can get for a Ridgid (or other) shop vac to capture that fine dust? Thanks

phil (admin)

I've used the CleanStream and also the Rigid HEPA filters.  I also use a bag in the vac to catch fines that the separator doesn't get.

I've been toying with the idea of removing the filter from the vac and exhausting the output out a vent in the window (basement shop).  My concerns are noise complaints from the neighbor, and also exhausting conditioned air in the summer.

Carbon monoxide poisoning is another concern in the winter when it comes to outside exhausting.  But I have an older house and I've read that people w/ big DC's exhaust in the winter.  Perhaps the lower CFM of the shop vac wouldn't be that big a problem.  The clothes drier exhausts in the winter.  I have a carbon monoxide detector, I could always get a few more and just keep an eye on it.

dbhost

I have the Ridgid HEPA filter with my Ridgid Wet / Dry vac. No worries yet...