News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Introduce yourself...

Started by phil (admin), October 16, 2013, 11:57:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DBomer

Greetings,

First, thanks to Mr Thien and all on this forum for sharing your knowledge and experience.

The name is Don and I live in the Texas Hill Country (AKA God's Country). In April of this year I had an urge to become a beekeeper (Beek). After
doing a lot of research on the subject  I decided to jump in with both feet. However purchasing hives is but one of the many expenses a Beek must
face. After seeing several plans to build hives I decided to go that route.

I haven't done any woodworking since I was in Jr High and I wasn't a whiz at it then (almost 73 now). But, after many more hours of research, a
favorite pastime, I bought a Craftsman 113.197251 Electronic Radial Arm Saw to make sawdust during the hive builds. I quickly discovered my choice
of a RAS was made in ignorance so I bought a 10" Rockwell Homecraft Table saw. With money for new blades, accessories and other tools I could have bought my first two or three hives. Oh well...

The bottom line is I have a start on becoming a woodworker as well as a Beek! I don't need my beehives until next spring so I'll start by
reconditioning my old power tools and building a Thien DS so I can keep my Ridgid vacuum and my lungs healthy.

Thanks again and Warm regards,
Don Bomer...

Flutemaker

Hi Everyone,I am Mike and I just joined.I am a wood turner and make flutes,bowls and hollow forms.I just love turning and so I have a lot of opportunities to make dust and want to learn a lot on here.I know I will.Thanks in advance for having and helping me!!

sploo

Hi all - just joined.

I was hoping to get input on a potentially unusual/constrained design for a separator but it appears I can't post new topics. I assume I need a certain length of time/number of posts before I can start a new topic?

Tim

Hi, I'm Tim, just joined. I make saw dust in my garage and sometimes there is something else leftover. I am intrigued by the separator lid...hope to take it on. Thanks for all the future information I will be absorbing.

fitzhugh

Nope, no spam here.
I'm a real dust hating wood wasting person.
I'll post elsewhere later, but first have a lot of reading to do.

watch4it

:) A Big Hello To You, One and All.
My name is R Serr and I am new too this site and process's. I have found through the Years that I truly can still be classified as a Newbie, I am at that good ole ripe age where it takes along time to get it straight in my head what I read and what I see, for this I apologize! I didn't mean to do it!
I am Relatively new at my new end ever of becoming a wood master (hope I have time), I just turned 70 yrs old. Still have all my movable attached Body Parts and I hope too keep on Panting on to the end.
I hope I can keep My smile cause the good looks and the physic are suffering a big set back. That is what I hope everyone
here can keep in mind, if I loose my smile I will have lost everything. Thank You all for Your Patience and understanding, I am looking forward to Keeping ALL my fingers and meeting you all as the time gathers around us too swallow us all.
Sincerely: watch4it

bark-eater

Hello all, I just unloaded the bones of a Delta 50-851 into my shop. I will have questions. Thanks, Woody

lakrissen

Hello im a carpenter from denmark ... saw the Thien baffle concept by chance on youtube and now i bulit my own ... and already modified a few things .. i'll post pictures a a video later ;)

Mad Mal

Hi, I'm a new member from Sydney, Australia.I'm new to woodworking, I started a class 2 years ago and discovered my new obsession. I was using a workshop vac for dust extraction. To protect the vac I used a 15 litre bucket with a lid with 2 pipe entries, the outlet had a simple filter cover. A simple but effective separator. I've now upgraded my machines and the dust extraction needs to keep up. I've purchased a Carbitec 1hp dust extractor  air flow is 500cfm. This machine is supplied with a needle felt filter bag, I replaced with a pleated filter cartridge( this should increase performance markedly). My new task is to build a separator to catch the first line of dust and chips. My first question is when constructing a Thien separator, what dimensions are required to accommodate the dust extractor with a 100mm inlet. To complicate matters further My space is limited, I am happy to have a small separator( which would require more frequent emptying, as long as it could handle the air volume)

nucww

Hi all,
This is an amazing site full of DC information. Many credits to all the contributors. I have enjoyed wood working most of my life as a hobby.  I am looking to retire in a few years.  Based on the information in here, I am making a top hat prefilter for a HF DC.  My biggest concern is pressure loss when adding the TH.  When I finish, I will post it some where in here.  I am trying to do a spiral wall so that the incoming flow is parallel with the return flow.  It will be easier to show pictures when its done.  I thought that this would reduce turbulence and minimize pressure drop. I'm using a bellmouth exit pipe and intend to use a simple X straightener.  I am toying with the idea of putting in a flow diverter between the bellmouth and the bottom baffle to help guide the air up the pipe rather than allowing it to spin.

ramorgan

Hi!

My name is Rich Morgan and I live in west central Wisconsin. I just completed a half-day project to build a chip collector for my Jet DC so I can use my planer without plugging up the ducting with long gnarly planer chips.

I used a leftover 4" blast gate and elbow, an old Rubbermaid garbage can and some scrap wood. Only out of pocket cost was $5 for the vinyl foam weatherstripping to seal the top. Works great! No more running back and forth to clean out the Jet inlet.

Thanks, Phil!

ibefishin

I'm Bill and mostly build wooden boats, canoes, paddleboards and oars. This makes piles of saw dust. I have a Delta DC but....well you know. I have tried some of the things Wood Craft offers that aren't much better. Then I discovered J Phil Thien and his unique design. I'm building one now. Thanks Phil!

EdBDen

Hi, my name is Ed and I live in the suburbs of Denver, Colorado.  Definitely not the place I grew up anymore!!

I have done tons of DIY things over the years, helping my father with projects at his house constantly and then purposely (insanity) buying a fixer-upper when my wife and I got a house of our own, 20 years ago.  I always loved the wood work when we did any project and have recently turned to WW with a passion.

I am in IT as a profession and I have found that that same troubleshooting/fixit mentality is how I approach WW as well.  I strangely derive FAR move pleasure in making new jigs/tweeking equipment, etc than the actual WWing projects....  Troubled :)

LOVE the tweeks I have found on the website and the sharing of knowledge is inspirational.

Upgrading my HF DC with a baffle now, have added the Wynn filter and looking forward to continuing my tweeking :)

Thanks all!

Ed

guyd

hi.

names guy. no formal wood training. mechanical engineer, ex aerospace. small garage style workshop. extractor is a kity 692
Technical data: KITY692 
Air capacity 100m3/h
Filter 1m2
Hose connection 100mm
Motor input power 230v 600w

ive made a plate from a bit of 18mm ply and a 205litre (55 gallon?) plastic drum

Hassman

Greetings and salutations!

I am rekindling the hobby of wood working and have created an impressive amount of sawdust already -some but not all has entered my lungs and/or the house through the kitchen door.

I shall need to build myself a separator as my little shopvac is not enough (it gets full in about 2 minutes).
I am sure I will have questions and ideas...

Many thanks to all contributors!
Hasse