Pics of completed project submitted via E-Mail by Robert W.

Started by phil (admin), January 20, 2008, 03:01:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennybmn

ThomasL1959

So,,,,, Phil , will the harbor freight portable unit collapse a 20 ? gal metal can ??
was thinking of a cart with a can and that vac, set up, side by side.
with the bag pointed down. ?
I dont know how much static pressure they have, but it looks like yours works pretty well.
It looks like Roberts works great as well!

theres no way Im going out and buying thousand dollar dust collector system.
these "particle separators" as I call them work excellently.

cheers 

phil (admin)

Quote from: ThomasL1959 on September 05, 2009, 05:20:44 PM
So,,,,, Phil , will the harbor freight portable unit collapse a 20 ?

Hasn't yet for me.  While it does have quite a bit more static lift than a typical DC blower, it has nowhere near as much as a shop vac.

What it lacks in static lift it makes up for in noise though.  They are LOUD.

Lki1199

Hi Phil,

New member here. What a great site with so much valuable information.  I have a question reguarding the HF mini DC collector.  In your #2 reply dated Feb 22,2008, you said you have made a DC with the HF Mini DC mounted above and in vertical line to the seperator and trash can base.

I understand from the specs on the Mini that it is a 1 hp. motor with 914 CFM. I have read too that a 12" wood planer requires about 750 CFM so as not to clog up. Would this DC have enough true CFM in a 4"  diameter short line to handle a single machine like a planer?

I plan to build this DC with the blower mounted directly on top of your seperator with a side entry to the collector can.  If you think this blower is too small, I can pick up on the local used market either version of the HF or the Grizzly 2hp-DC's, and do this project using the larger 2 hp DC.

Your thoughts?

Thanks,

John

phil (admin)

Quote from: Lki1199 on September 24, 2009, 12:35:13 PM
I understand from the specs on the Mini that it is a 1 hp. motor with 914 CFM. I have read too that a 12" wood planer requires about 750 CFM so as not to clog up. Would this DC have enough true CFM in a 4"  diameter short line to handle a single machine like a planer?

Unequivocally, yes.

servant74

Quote from: RCP612 on May 21, 2008, 08:47:06 AM
Another question.
What would be wrong with venting this DC through the wall with no bag?  Do these units require a certain amount of back pressure to work correctly?
I'm thinking that this would increase the CFM and, any fine dust would just be blown away outdoors.
Is my thinking correct?
Thanks Phil,  keep up the good work!

The only issues I can think of is you will be loosing any heat/cooling that you
paid for.  If you don't have a conditioned space, make sure your exhaust is
on the leeward side of the building and air intake is on the normally windward
side so you don't re-circulate it.  Also if your family patio or back yard is
where you are planning to exhaust, you might want to put it elsewhere.
You don't want to get rid of the fine particles to give it to your family.

Just a few thoughts.