Long and the short of it

Started by johna, November 09, 2009, 04:57:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johna

I am planning to convert my Jet DC-1800 to a Thien separator, venting the exhaust outside without filter.  The DC inlet is 140mm - about 5 1/2". I have no fixed ducting - just use good quality flexible hose (Felder) which I hook up to whichever machine I am using.

Convention is to locate the DC near the wall, which in the new set-up I am planning would result in a longer 'pull' from machinery and a shorter 'push' to the external vent.

I wonder what would be the effect of instead keeping the DC mobile and using it close to machines, resulting in a shorter pull from machines and a longer push to the outside?  It seems self evident that I will gain the most suction at the dust creating machinery - or am I wrong and might it be possible that I will over strain the motor with too little resistance in the system?  Will this be balanced by resistance in a longer push to the exhaust vent?  Is the longer exhaust a problem in itself?

Has anyone done this already, or have any thoughts?

phil (admin)

Quote from: johna on November 09, 2009, 04:57:10 PM
Will this be balanced by resistance in a longer push to the exhaust vent?  Is the longer exhaust a problem in itself?

Bingo.  It is the total length of ducting (or hose) that matters, not whether the hose comes before or after the blower.

I'd be inclined to keep the machine stationary and just move the hose from machine to machine.  Seems like less trouble.

bennybmn

An alternate solution, which I have, is to have lines, pipes, whatever, running from each machine TO the DC, and swap them out at the DC, rather than dragging hose around. All depends on your shop layout.