News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Looking for Best Way

Started by jjshields, August 13, 2009, 01:42:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjshields

I have a Delta 50-850 dc with a Wynn filter and 6" PVC through my home shop.

When my filter is clean, I have enough flow to handle my needs. BUT, after using the DC for less than 10 minutes, the flows drops considerably because the filter is getting clogged.

So, I'm always having to clean the filter  >:( >:( >:(

So my questions are:

• What can I really expect with the baffle...
  • Should I/can I use 2 baffles??? One in the DC and one on a 30 gal pre-separator??
  • OR should I just buy/build a cyclone (using the DC blower) and use it as a pre-separator??

Thanks for your help!!!

-jj

phil (admin)

Here are some comments I got from a longer-term user.  I think it pretty much perfectly answers your questions.

Hi Phil,  I was cleaning out some old email and ran across this...

did you ever publish any of the long term feedback on Woodnet?

I've had the baffle in for a year now.  I've ran about at least a thousand board feet of stock and haven't had to do a deep clean of my Jet DC1100's canister filter since.  I've just started hard-piping  some of my system (overarm guard and RT.)  I also upgraded to a 12" impeller last year, about the same time I installed the baffle.  Long story short, I haven't even thought about getting more power out of the DC since I've performed the baffle upgrades (hard pipe was a convenience factor for the long runs.)

My system runs great...the only change I'd potentially make is the addition of a Thien bucket so I have something a little easier to empty.

Over the weekend, I ran about 200 bd ft of red oak for a stair project...I filled the Jet's bag up 8 times flattening 12" treads and 9" risers and thinning them down from 4/4 to 1/2"...the DC gives me no indication (reduction in power) that the bag is full and I frequently top it off because I can.

So, I'm a believer...it's a great addition and the Jet offers plenty of power for my shop.  If there's been any improvements made to the initial design, let me know, please.

best,

-Scott

jjshields

Phil,

Thanks for this great web site & sharing your design & ideas!

Based on what I read, I'm going to try the ThienBaffletm  ;D (I'm a marketing guy...). Here is my strategy (would like your input):

#1. Build a pre separator using a 30 gal garbage can with 6" hoses

#2. If I still get too much filter clogging.... I'll add a TheinBaffle tm to my dust collector.

#3. If I still get too much filter clogging... I get a ClearVue cyclone  ::)

BTW... do you live in Milwaukee (east side??) I'm in Franklin....

-jj

phil (admin)

I'd probably do this:  (1) Add baffle to DC.  (2) Build a separator to place in front of the jointer/planer (big chip producers).

This gives you the best of both worlds.  You'll be able to quickly and easily empty your separator when preparing rough lumber, and you'll maximize airflow when using tools like the band and table saws.

And yep, I'm in Milwaukee.  Whitefish Bay technically.  Der hey.

bennybmn

Defintiely add a baffle to the DC itself. It's the simplest, cheapest solution, with zero negative side effects, so you can kinda just put it in and forget about it, ya know? Got nothin to lose! Then, like phil said, you can do a pre-separator for the big dogs, and then NOT have that there for the saws or whatever, to maximize airflow.