My 50gal drum separator.

Started by mikhail2400, August 29, 2018, 07:51:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikhail2400

Hello Im new to dust collection and I pretty much built and read a few things and built some more. What i have is a 50 gallon plastic drum with a plywood thien baffle on the top. The separator section is 12" tall from the top of the baffle and has the same circumference as the drum. It has a rectangular 7"x6" intake for the dust which will be hooked to 4" PVC most likely. Maybe 5".
#1; Now on the intake does it hurt anything being square or should I make it match the round PVC pipe?
#2; The exhaust in the top of the separator, everything ive read says to locate it in the exact center, thats correct isnt it?
#3; Should my exhaust port be the exact same size as my intake port or would their be a benefit of less turbulence by making it larger?
I look forward to hearing your thoughts on these questions.

mikhail2400

mikhail2400

Hmmm..........was it some thing i said or mayne some thing I didnt say? Do yall not like my deodorant? Is it my accent? Haircut? Bad breath? Cant be my shop as its only 16'x12', no AC unit and its located in the South with high temps and even higher humidity.
I give up!!

retired2

My opinion:

1) Doesn't matter.....much!
2) Yes
3) Go up one size.

alan m

sorry for not getting back. i forgot.

the inlet should be recangular with a transition to round. preferably 10% larger area than area of pipe.

the outlet has to be concentric to the seperater

retired2 is correct. go up a size. it should have a slightly less resistance than the normal sized pipe

mikhail2400

Thank you for answering my questions alan m and retired2. Now I can move forward with hooking the separator into the DC system. Be glad when i get this all hooked up and running correctly. Right now my shop looks like a saw dust bomb exploded in it.
Have a great day folks.