News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Hybrid design

Started by archiboy, August 26, 2011, 07:18:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

archiboy

I can't leave well enough alone... I am not an engineer, I'm an engineer's worst nightmare, an architect... I've read over this site and spent the last couple of days pondering the 'Thien' concept.  I studied the video from the user who built the top hat solution.  It struck me that as brilliant as the Thien design is, it's a 2 dimensional solution. So I started thinking about how to use the depth of the 'hat' to reinforce the airflow and create a better vortex - while still using easy to assemble parts.  So, I'm asking for input before I waste a bunch of time and materials going down a road that other's may have already tired and failed doing.  The basic concept is to transition a 6" inlet pipe to a 6" flex hose that follows the contour of the 'hat' cylinder. The flex tube should also drop a full 6" over a 270 degree turn.  So the end of the flex hose would end up under the 'Thien' deck or panel. Also the bottom outside quadrant of the flex tube is being proposed to be removed.

I've attached a sketch of the proposed design.  I hope to post a rough animation of the design to my web site in the next 24 hours.

So to those more knowledgeable with the aerodynamics of the task of particle separation I pose the question: Is there any merit to the proposed concept? Or does the vortex need to start above the 'Thien' deck for the device to separate effectively?

phil (admin)

Quote from: archiboy on August 26, 2011, 07:18:34 PM
So the end of the flex hose would end up under the 'Thien' deck or panel. Also the bottom outside quadrant of the flex tube is being proposed to be removed.

You don't want to do that.  All the air coming out of the hose will prevent any dust from settling to the bottom of your barrel.  You want to keep the high-speed air movement ABOVE the baffle.

archiboy

Thanks for the quick responses!  Makes sense that the high velocity air needs to be above the baffle.

Don_Z

Because for the most part, it's fun Chuck. Ever go to a car show? You will see 100 Mustangs, and yes, you could say that the car is already built and runs fine why would anyone need to do anything to it. But that isn't the point. It is about the love of making something cool and making it your own. I agree that the base model separator works great, and I have seen a few train wrecks on here as well. I happen to admire intelligent creativity.

Don_Z