Baffle question related to cutout amount

Started by dtrust, May 31, 2012, 12:31:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dtrust

Hi all,

I recently (like yesterday) modified my Dust-Right Vortex by adding the baffle to it and changing the outlet port to the center rather than the opposite edge from the inlet port.  This based on Phil's separator lid design.  It workes extemely well, much better than the way it was configured by Rockler.  I'm attributing this to the baffle mostly.

Anyway, the reason for this post is to point out that I made the cutout in the baffle only 120? instead of 240?.  (I mis-remembered the design specs from your website, Phil.)  Haha, wow, couldn't remember one number between upstairs and one minute later in the garage.  :-[

So, on to the question.  Before I rip things apart and cutout more of the  baffle opening, does anyone think it would collect more of the fine dust if I did that.  I ask because as it sits now not a single chip gets thru, and after collecting 4 inches of dust and chips in the separator, and running the vac for another five minutes just to make sure there isn't any 'scrubbing' going on there is only a very fine coating of dust on the vac filter.  Even with everything working at top efficiency, would that be the best I can expect, or should ALL the dust be trapped by the separator??

Oh, and thanks for the site, Phil.  Donation on the way.

Bulldog8

You should never expect to capture 100% of the fines. This is true of the Thien baffle as well as a cyclone or any other DC system currently available. In my opinion, if you are happy with the collection and the amount of bypass that you currently experience, I wouldn't change a thing. If you later find that you get clogging or too much bypass, you could then remove the additional 120 degrees of the baffle.

I use a tophat separator with clear sides so I can see the dust stream when it is above the baffle. I do see a considerable amount of dust going through the baffle in the last 120 degrees. (right before the circle meets the inlet pipe)

Steve

phil (admin)

Quote from: Bulldog8 on June 01, 2012, 04:50:36 AM
You should never expect to capture 100% of the fines. This is true of the Thien baffle as well as a cyclone or any other DC system currently available. In my opinion, if you are happy with the collection and the amount of bypass that you currently experience, I wouldn't change a thing. If you later find that you get clogging or too much bypass, you could then remove the additional 120 degrees of the baffle.

I use a tophat separator with clear sides so I can see the dust stream when it is above the baffle. I do see a considerable amount of dust going through the baffle in the last 120 degrees. (right before the circle meets the inlet pipe)

Steve

Ditto this.

There is no magic to the 120/240.  It is a set of proportions that I found work well for a variety of uses.  It provides good separation of fines, along with the ability to handle a lot of big, stringy chips.

If you have reversed the proportions and find it is still performing, then stop and use it for a while.  You can always increase the side of the slot in the future.

dtrust

Phil and Steve,

Thanks for the info.  I am still amazed at how well this works.  Quite a difference from having to empty the vac every 5 minutes and losing suction almost immediately after cleaning it.  What I wasn't sure of was about the fine dust.  Good to know it's working as expected.

Now to make a larger version for my HF dust collector.  Gonna be nice not havng to remove that bag to clean.  That was always a PITA.

Don

phil (admin)

rake74

Sorry to dig up an ancient thread, but this returns during Google searches.

I experimented first with switch around one of the inlets on the Dust Right so that it was straight inside and 90 degress outside - and connected the suction to it. This didn't result in any difference - if anything worse, so I put it back.

Due to this thread, I then setup a Thein Baffle about 2 inches down, with 2 120 degree slots cut into it - an inch from the sides and about 2.25 inches wide. After vacuuming up a bunch of plastic/resin and wood from the table saw and drill - I found ZERO accumulation in my vacuum.

While testing (from real work, I wasn't just making a mess to test) I'd taken out my uber-filter and bag to test - I'm going to be putting them back in because my lungs are worth the uber filter and the uber filter is worth the bag. I'm just thrilled that the bag isn't going to need to be replaced often.

Here's an imgur album with 2 pics of the Thien Baffle in the Vortex, and a bonus pic of the noise baffling box I made for my shop vac: or maybe I won't. External links aren't allowed. Admin/moderator: feel free to insert a link to imgur /a/QCm9F for the pics.