News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Chimney & Baffle

Started by Ted Miller, August 15, 2012, 07:21:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted Miller

Hey Phil, Thanks again for all your help with my DC.

I added a chimney yesterday, or should I say attempted too. I only found one pic to give me a direction and read what I could about placement and size.

The hole diameter in my cone is 9.5". The two HVAC flanges I used were 10" flanges cut down to fit the opening. The chimney sticks up 3" into the cannister filter and down 3" towards the baffle. I did use foil tape to hold in place to see how this would work. Space between the chimney and the baffle is a tad over 1".

I assemble the DC back together and starting slowing adding dust to the running system. It was mostly fines from my CT22. I added the fines about the same rate it would come from my TS.

The scubbing was almost none existent in the lower bag. The dust dropped into the bag as most have said here like it came out of a hose. The pressure in the bag was high. I added about 2-3" of fines. Shut down, removed the cannister. You can see in the pics what fines made it over the chimney. The cannister/filter had a good amount of fines present.

So I am wondering if my baffle being 3/4" melamine could be causing the fines to go into the filter, or maybe the hole in the cone of this DC is way to large. I have to admit, the DC was really pulling a lot of air into the unit after adding this chimney, did seem like more than before.

Thanks again for all your help...

phil (admin)

When you say you added 2-3" of fines, how did you do that?

And what is the source of the fines?

Ted Miller

Hey Phil, I added about 2-3" of fines to the lower bag in this test at one time. I grabbed the fines with one had at a time, taken from my collection container from my
festool CT22. I added them very slowly about the same rate as they would come off my TS.

Of course my CT22 container is what I use for shop clean up.

I have a lot of ripping, jointing, planning coming up here. So I will post back to show how that works out.

I am still very impressed by the almost no scubbing action in the lower bag and how the chips/dust just came out in a stream to the bottom of the bag...

phil (admin)

Okay.

Just remember that nothing separates the finest flour or talc-like dust.  Not even the best cyclones out there.  So if all you're feeding it is super-fines, then your filter will accumulate them faster than (for example) using a table saw, bandsaw, jointer, etc.

Ted Miller

Ok great, thanks again for all your help Phil...