News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

questions

Started by bmantica, October 07, 2008, 11:33:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmantica

I just completed building a lid. I noticed after using it there woud be chips left on the baffel is this normal, also how much fine dut should make it intp my vac?

phil (admin)

Depends.

When you're using larger (2-1/4 to 2-1/2") hoses and a decent shop vac, there should be precious little that stays on the baffle.  If you're using a 1" hose (like I use with my orbital sander), then the reduction in CFM will result sometimes in some debris remaining on the baffle.

For the same reasons above, the amount of dust that makes it to your shop vac filter will vary.  When I'm using my drum sander (my largest generator of fines) about 4-5% of the dust (by volume) makes it to the shop vac.  Maybe a little less.  When I'm using my jointer/planer, none of it gets to the vac.

I always use a bag in my vac, as I DO use a 1" hose on my orbital sander, and I DO use a drum sander.  By using the shop vac bags my filter stays perfectly clean.

FWIW, full cyclones don't separate 100%, either.  They still hit your filter with the finest dust.  Here is a thread that shows the results from a magazine review of the Dust Deputy.

bmantica

I am using  2.5 inch hoses the lid is on a 30 gal trash can, so what what would cause chips to remain on th baffle?

phil (admin)

Quote from: bmantica on October 07, 2008, 06:23:32 PM
I am using  2.5 inch hoses the lid is on a 30 gal trash can, so what what would cause chips to remain on th baffle?

Could be a lot of things.  For example, the inlet elbow may not be close enough to the edge of the can.  Or the shop vac may not have the CFM needed to power the unit.  Or the shop vac's filter may already be plugged and reducing CFM.  Or there could be leaks around the edge of the top, so air sneaks in through the leaks, preventing the debris inside the unit from spinning.

Post some pics of what you've got.  Test for leaks using an incense stick or candle (watch for flame movement and don't start the unit on fire).

John Gray

Quote from: bmantica on October 07, 2008, 06:23:32 PM

I believe it's the 30 gallon can for a shop vac you need to change to a 5 gallon bucket.  My 2 cents.

bmantica

instead of changing the can could  I put a solid disk about a third of the way  down from the top?