Thien separator for a Rubber Maid 20 gal plastic pail & Delta 50-760 with pics!

Started by BobLandel, March 30, 2011, 11:35:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BobLandel

Yes, I did build a separator; quick and dirty.  I used 1/4 MDF, dowels, and wood screws/washers.  All are attached to the Ruber Maid plastic top.  The dowels and wood screws/washers are hot glued to hold them in place.  The elbow fittings are standard steel 4" Home Depot type except for the 5" to 4" out of the dust collector to the top of the can.   I used a small amount of Grizzly 5" hose from the dust collector to the can's top.  Then I attached the 5" to 4" reducer.  My dust collector is a Delta 50-760.  I have the inside elbow facing open in the clockwise direction.

It works!  How it works, I truely do not understand.   Thank you Phil.

Next time, though, I will use a 30 gallon can.  My thinking on using the 20 gallon was to have space on top to store stuff (hose and fittings); which I do.  However, I had to add a 1" platform to the dust collector's bottom so that the top of the can clears a Delta 50-760 side steel member.

Bob Landel

blueonion

I like how you incorporated the original lid. Looks like you just hot glued the pipes in place. How secure is it?

dabullseye

BobLandel

Chuck, I like the single loop better.  It holds well and is easier to squeeze.  EagleAmerica and Peachtree appear to sell the same red one at about the same price.  Woodcraft sells the black ones higher priced.  The red ones seen to work fine at almost half the price.

Blueonion, the hot glue has held the fittings for over a year before I made the separator.  No problem.